Hermit crab sand

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crab2233

Hermit crab sand

Post by Crab2233 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:39 am

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermit crab sand

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:24 am

No, calcium sand is considered dangerous. It can harden when wet. The HCA recommends just regular playsand, which is much cheaper! You can get that at Lowes, Home Depot, Toys R Us, sometimes Ace Hardware. Made by Quicrete :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:18 pm

Unfortunately, a good rule of thumb regarding hermit crab product safety is asking yourself, 'is it marketed for hermit crabs?' If the answer is yes than it is probably not actually hermit crab safe. The majority of products you find marketed for hermit crabs at the pet store are actually unsafe. That includes calcium based sand, pellet food and painted shells, to name just a few. Good job on doing your homework though!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:29 pm

GotButterflies wrote:No, calcium sand is considered dangerous. It can harden when wet. The HCA recommends just regular playsand, which is much cheaper! You can get that at Lowes, Home Depot, Toys R Us, sometimes Ace Hardware. Made by Quicrete :)
I got this at Home Depot. Is it the right sand. They had 2 types of play sand. The customer service person said the other one was more for filling in paving, rougher. This sand she said was finer, more like beach sand.Image

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:35 am

That is perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:00 am

GotButterflies wrote:That is perfect Image

Thank you!
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:16 pm

Yw!