Daytime food

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Daytime food

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Should I leave food for them during the day? It seems like they never come out anyway. I have a cuttlebone in there but it doesn't look used.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Daytime food

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:52 pm

I do - and have a few crabs who eat during the day. But I also don't change my crabs' food every day - I've got leaf litter, moss, bark, wood, some seeds, and two kinds of protein in the tank on any given day... I tend to rotate food items out as they get gross.

People manage their crab's diets in different ways. Some feed daily, changing food and food items every day, some do as I do. There are people with weekly meal plans! (People who do this have attained a level of organisation I can only dream of.)

If they don't seem to come out much, it could be that there isn't enough cover to help them feel safe - but you may also just have crabs that are more nocturnally oriented.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:24 pm

hi, i like to leave non spoiling munchies out like Lady J (fd worms/coral/leaves/bark/egg shells) but i put fresh food out every day to 2 days. im a daily mister/checker. so if something is too far off/moldy i pull it out. also if something yummy comes in I like to share. Each crab has their own feeding time and preference. and depending where they are in molt cycle they don't/wont bother to come out for food. ive watched a crab eat a single grain of rice for 15 minutes, so they can "stuff" themselves on what seems like nothing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:10 pm

CrabMater wrote:hi, i like to leave non spoiling munchies out like Lady J (fd worms/coral/leaves/bark/egg shells) but i put fresh food out every day to 2 days. im a daily mister/checker. so if something is too far off/moldy i pull it out. also if something yummy comes in I like to share. Each crab has their own feeding time and preference. and depending where they are in molt cycle they don't/wont bother to come out for food. ive watched a crab eat a single grain of rice for 15 minutes, so they can "stuff" themselves on what seems like nothing.

Uncooked rice? I know not instant rice.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:18 pm

For some reason CrabMater's post made me think of this, and it's sort of relevant but not really related to your initial query. Fair warning - I'm an insect nerd:

So also of note... there's less food cleanup if you add isopods (roly-polies/wood lice - a type of wee land crustacean that you've encountered all your life) and/or springtails (insect-like little dudes that aren't technically insects but still have six legs and jump via a very interesting anatomical feature, and the lineage of which goes a long way back in the fossil record, but that's another story) to your crabitat.

We call these animals the cleanup crew. They're tiny super stars. These are the only non-hermit-crab animals we recommend you keep with your crabs. (I suppose you could keep crickets if you wanted to, but they are terrible, so just don't. Personal experience :smt087 )

This is how I get away with leaving things like dried fish/other dehydrated stuff in the tank & not having mould get out of control when I have humidity in the high eighties or nineties, but mostly only remove the fresh stuff I put in every couple days.

If you get a well established isopod colony going in your tat, they enable you to be a lazier crab parent.... er, y'know, if lazy is your thing. (It's mine.)

Obviously, this is not a necessary addition to any tat. And if you don't like 'bugs', it makes no sense for your tat.

Just something to think about. :wink:

(Unless you're feeling overwhelmed by the world of crabbing: then just forget everything you just read.)

And they will eat uncooked rice happily.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

daws409

Post by daws409 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:19 pm

I too would leave food out during the day... I have some that are only active during the day and others that are only active at night. Some of mine will sleep in the trees/foliage for 3 or 4 days then eat whenever they "wake" up.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:21 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
CrabMater wrote:hi, i like to leave non spoiling munchies out like Lady J (fd worms/coral/leaves/bark/egg shells) but i put fresh food out every day to 2 days. im a daily mister/checker. so if something is too far off/moldy i pull it out. also if something yummy comes in I like to share. Each crab has their own feeding time and preference. and depending where they are in molt cycle they don't/wont bother to come out for food. ive watched a crab eat a single grain of rice for 15 minutes, so they can "stuff" themselves on what seems like nothing.

Uncooked rice? I know not instant rice.
cooked rice. white. no salt

CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:36 pm

I feed mine daily. At all times you can find cuttlebone, coral, leaf litter, oak bark, cork bark, seeds, worm castings, greensand and a stick in my tank. Then I offer a minimum of two proteins, a fruit, a fat, green leaf, veggie...etc in my tank. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:19 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:For some reason CrabMater's post made me think of this, and it's sort of relevant but not really related to your initial query. Fair warning - I'm an insect nerd:

So also of note... there's less food cleanup if you add isopods (roly-polies/wood lice - a type of wee land crustacean that you've encountered all your life) and/or springtails (insect-like little dudes that aren't technically insects but still have six legs and jump via a very interesting anatomical feature, and the lineage of which goes a long way back in the fossil record, but that's another story) to your crabitat.

We call these animals the cleanup crew. They're tiny super stars. These are the only non-hermit-crab animals we recommend you keep with your crabs. (I suppose you could keep crickets if you wanted to, but they are terrible, so just don't. Personal experience :smt087 )

This is how I get away with leaving things like dried fish/other dehydrated stuff in the tank & not having mould get out of control when I have humidity in the high eighties or nineties, but mostly only remove the fresh stuff I put in every couple days.

If you get a well established isopod colony going in your tat, they enable you to be a lazier crab parent.... er, y'know, if lazy is your thing. (It's mine.)

Obviously, this is not a necessary addition to any tat. And if you don't like 'bugs', it makes no sense for your tat.

Just something to think about. :wink:

(Unless you're feeling overwhelmed by the world of crabbing: then just forget everything you just read.)

And they will eat uncooked rice happily.

Yes, I am overwhelmed by the world of crabbing. Lol. But that's not why I would forget what you said. Eewwww, bugs?? No thanks. :lol:
And someone else said cooked rice. Which I did. But isn't uncooked rice hard for the to eat?

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:40 pm

I feed each night and leave the same food out till the next nightly feeding. I also have some that are day eaters. I will dump it if it's super stinky in the morning when I walk by the tank lol but will replace with a bit of dried mix. I also have a leaf litter bin and moss pits, sweet gum bark and sticks, coral, cuttle bone and oyster shell on offer 24/7

@GB tell me about Green sand plz? :)
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Happyhermiehome wrote:I feed each night and leave the same food out till the next nightly feeding. I also have some that are day eaters. I will dump it if it's super stinky in the morning when I walk by the tank lol but will replace with a bit of dried mix. I also have a leaf litter bin and moss pits, sweet gum bark and sticks, coral, cuttle bone and oyster shell on offer 24/7

@GB tell me about Green sand plz? :)
I'll leave the food in there until next evening then. I've been removing it in the morning but leaving some coliander petals? I don't remember what they're called.