UNSAFE HIDE

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

DaJimmer

Re: UNSAFE HIDE

Post by DaJimmer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:22 pm

I know other pets are sensitive to phenols as well. Safe products may be described as kiln-dried. Basically the fumes are cooked out.
-Jimmer

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:25 am

TheCrabLord wrote:I've seen ALOT of people using reptile logs as hides for your crabs, they may seem okay, but that wood is most likely cedar which is an irritant and could kill them. A good substitute that's cheap is a cocohut. You can also take tubberware, cover it with something so it isn't see through, and cut a crab sized gap into it for them. Make sure it's safe!!! You can also figure out a way to stick rocks together in order to make a hut. Make sure it's stable! A good hide can also be a clay pot with netting over it to climb up for fun (optional) and a hole made on the side for the crabs to climb in and out of! A great, cheap, wet hide is frog spaghnum moss in which a lot comes. My crabs love it and dig all of the time!!! Happy hiding :)
I have a reptile log in my tank and now of course I'm worried. It looks like some of the bark has been eaten off. But it's Derek's favorite hidey spot. Should I remove it and just place one of the other hidey holes over him?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:50 am

It's really your choice. I know of many long term crabbers who use them with no ill effects. Watch for mold though, they can sometimes get nasty underneath and that isn't good for your health.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:34 pm

I wonder if these half logs are kiln dried? I read somewhere once that kiln drying vapes off whatever is toxic in pine. Just curious.

Anyways, I regard this place as like the Bible of all things crab!
And if Wode says it's all good I take her word for it! :wink:
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:21 am

wodesorel wrote:It's really your choice. I know of many long term crabbers who use them with no ill effects. Watch for mold though, they can sometimes get nasty underneath and that isn't good for your health.
If I do find mold on the bottom how do I get rid of it?
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:27 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
TheCrabLord wrote:Honestly I'd still be careful. The fumes from the pine in a non aerated container can build up, while in the wild they can air out. Stay safe!
Yes if you chuck a fresh piece in. :) Otherwise, a log you find in a store for example has had enough time to 'cure' and most of the fumes (phenols) have had a chance to dissipate or break down.

But I will say this, every forum and site has their own particular set of 'standards' used in crabbing care, so you may find with research that you may come up with contradictory information. However, with a bit of google and google scolar for example, you might be surprised what you come up with and form your own logical conclusion.
eg. substrate. Some recommend only the 5.1 ratio, everything else is bad and can kill them, others recommend virtually a 50/50 split, whether separated or mixed. Others recommend straight sand or EE. :) Some still recommend out of tat play time, others recommend using an ISO for moulting crabs. At one stage (archives) we did too, cause I did the same when first starting out! The crabbing community is small, but over time each group has evolved their own set of guidelines for successful crabbing.
I have found different views on a lot of stuff. And since I'm new I don't really know which way to ho on certain issues. Like...I'm setting up a new tat for them. 40gal tank. I read about ratio 5:1. Which of course sounds logical since they live where there's a lot of sand. Right now they are in 100% ee. So basically more sand than ee. Right? Lol

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:38 am

The 5.1 ratio is used since sand is great at holding their tunnels, while ee is good at increasing humidity and retain moisture. However, you can use any type of ratio, half half all sand or all ee.. or somewhere between, at HCA we just encourage that is safe and has the proper depth to burrow.

Edit. If you find mold, you can spray it with some salt water or just air dry it out - or bake it. Mold isnt harmful to crabs however, so they should be fine - we however, are not.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:48 am

I have had to toss the half logs before, because the mold was so crazy nothing was working, and soaking and drying actually led to it splitting in half. I don't recommend going out and buying them, if you're going to do that go with driftwood or resin or plastic, but if you have one and it is working or you can make it work with salt then there is no reason to waste it.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram