Correct heating method

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Sillysheep

Correct heating method

Post by Sillysheep » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 pm

I am trying to make sure I have my crabitat set up safely, so I found, for starters, I was using my heaters horribly wrong. Under my tank. So, I took them out. They are zoomed. Can I use tape on them now? What kind?

Also, I got this heater, in the picture, with my first tank. Does anyone recognize it, if I use it, can it be taped to the tank and with what type of tape?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions regarding insulation? I live in Middle TN, in the basement, so, it's gets rather cold down here.Image

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Correct heating method

Post by wodesorel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:32 am

I use packing tape myself, but aluminium tape is supposed to be good as well.

Yes, you can tape them on. If the pads got bent or are puffy use with caution as it could have broken the heating elements. I have three zoomed heaters I got second hand that I've been using for a couple of years now. Not pretty but functional.

The one you have is probably a Flukers. T-rex made some smaller ones in that style. Exoterra also make their waves series like that but I think theirs are all square. I am surprised there isn't a sticker somewhere saying the watts. Check the plug as well as exoterra embosses theirs with a logo. It may be a knockoff from amazon, too.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Correct heating method

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:47 am

Wodesorel answered your question about heaters. You want to place them above substrate in the back or sides of tank (heat the air).

http://www.beanfarm.com or http://www.reptilebasics.com have great ultratherms

To insulate (around zoomed) use Reflectix insulation with Reflectix tape, or packaging tape or duct tape. Or You can also use aluminum foil (shiny side facing in tank) then use cardboard Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:29 am

GotButterflies wrote:Wodesorel answered your question about heaters. You want to place them above substrate in the back or sides of tank (heat the air).

http://www.beanfarm.com or http://www.reptilebasics.com have great ultratherms

To insulate (around zoomed) use Reflectix insulation with Reflectix tape, or packaging tape or duct tape. Or You can also use aluminum foil (shiny side facing in tank) then use cardboard Image

Thank you so so much. I'll be honest.. all the answers are here, I just had to look. Super wonderful place!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:01 pm

Yw! I agree...this is a great crabbing community :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:57 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Yw! I agree...this is a great crabbing community :)
With these zoomed heaters, tape well too back and side above substrate. Got it. Should all zoomed heaters be toward one side? Cut out a hole in the reflectix so it won't cover the heaters? Will this help keep the heat in?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:16 am

Sillysheep wrote:
With these zoomed heaters, tape well too back and side above substrate. Got it. Should all zoomed heaters be toward one side? Cut out a hole in the reflectix so it won't cover the heaters? Will this help keep the heat in?

Yes, you would cut a hole in the Reflectix so the zoomed is not covered. Zoomed scan go on the back or the sides of the tank. I have always placed heaters on the back. :)

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:40 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:

Yes, you would cut a hole in the Reflectix so the zoomed is not covered. Zoomed scan go on the back or the sides of the tank. I have always placed heaters on the back. :)

I thought the whole point was to insulate the heater. Why would you cut a whole in it so as not to cover the heater? Unless I'm misunderstanding something. (entirely possible) I have my uth on the back, stuck on by sticky stuff on it. It was new. Then I covered the whole back with aquarium background then have that covered with tinfoil. Although I don't know if tinfoil helps because of the background. :?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:42 am

Cherylco55 wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:With these zoomed heaters, tape well too back and side above substrate. Got it. Should all zoomed heaters be toward one side? Cut out a hole in the reflectix so it won't cover the heaters? Will this help keep the heat in?

I thought the whole point was to insulate the heater. Why would you cut a whole in it so as not to cover the heater? Unless I'm misunderstanding something. (entirely possible) I have my uth on the back, stuck on by sticky stuff on it. It was new. Then I covered the whole back with aquarium background then have that covered with tinfoil. Although I don't know if tinfoil helps because of the background. :?
Zoomed/Fluker heaters are already insulated. They do not need more insulation. Insulating them is a fire hazard... The only UTH that can be safely insulated/covered are the ultratherm UTHs from http://www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com These cost about the same as a zoomed but they actually heat the tank better.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:09 am

@Daws49, ok. Thank you.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:47 am

Cherylco55 wrote:@Daws49, ok. Thank you.
YW!

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:40 pm

Fluker can also be insulated according to their directions.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:44 pm

wodesorel wrote:Fluker can also be insulated according to their directions.
Didn't know that. Thanks!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:32 pm

[/quote]Zoomed/Fluker heaters are already insulated. They do not need more insulation. Insulating them is a fire hazard... The only UTH that can be safely insulated/covered are the ultratherm UTHs from http://www.reptilebasics.com or http://www.beanfarm.com These cost about the same as a zoomed but they actually heat the tank better.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk[/quote]

I have the zoo med mini heater. I had origionally gotten that for the 10 gal. I now have a 40 gal with the mini and added a zilla small uth. At 4 watts and 8 watts my husband says they're really not doing much. Lol. I got the sheet of foam insulation today. Will try that soon.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:18 pm

Yeah, a proper sized Ultratherm for your tank would be between 23 and 46 watts, by comparison.