Distilled water

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Distilled water

Post by Crabsalicious » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:55 am

Is distilled water from the store good for the fw bowl? Does it need to have minerals or something in it? Assuming distilled water is stripped of all minerals....? Or does prime handle that issue?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Distilled water

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Prime does not have minerals in it, so uts pointless for that. The saltwater should contain all the minerals they need. However, i will suggest to still dechlorinate as many bottle water companies still contain traces of chlorine for 'freshness'.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:43 pm

I have a costum fogger system that i made out of cool mist humidifier and tubing I used distilled in this to avoid mineral deposit. Though I don't use the fogger much anymore cuz it hasn't been needed.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:15 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Prime does not have minerals in it, so uts pointless for that. The saltwater should contain all the minerals they need. However, i will suggest to still dechlorinate as many bottle water companies still contain traces of chlorine for 'freshness'.

Is there a way to find out if they do? Would it be required to be listed on the ingredients list?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Believe so.

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:16 pm

Happyhermiehome wrote:I have a costum fogger system that i made out of cool mist humidifier and tubing I used distilled in this to avoid mineral deposit. Though I don't use the fogger much anymore cuz it hasn't been needed.
A fogger for the tank? Interesting...for humidity purposes I assume?

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:16 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:Believe so.

Good to know, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:32 pm

No, the chlorine in tap water (which many bottled waters are) does not need to be listed.

Distilled is not the best for fresh water. Land animals have come to rely on surface water for providing certain minerals. It has been found with reptiles that only using distilled can cause lack of certain minerals and health issues. In theory the salt mix should make up for this, but distilled is not any better than tap unless you have really bad water.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:34 pm

wodesorel wrote:No, the chlorine in tap water (which many bottled waters are) does not need to be listed.

Distilled is not the best for fresh water. Land animals have come to rely on surface water for providing certain minerals. It has been found with reptiles that only using distilled can cause lack of certain minerals and health issues. In theory the salt mix should make up for this, but distilled is not any better than tap unless you have really bad water.
What should I use for fw then? I'm using distilled for the fw and distilled for the msw mix.