Our first ponds.

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Hermiesguardian

Re: Our first ponds.

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:36 am

aussieJJDude wrote:Sometimes when its something new crabs do take time to get use to it. (Your species of crabs, PP's also don't 'swim' as much in comparison to other species as well) Give them some time, they will appreciate it. :)

Most people say that their crabs love to use wheels. If you have the funds or the willpower to do so, I'd encourage you to do and report back your findings.
My crabbies have had their pools for about 3wks now and I have only seen a couple drink at the edge. Have they forgotten they should submerge now and then?
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 am

Cherylco55 wrote:
aussieJJDude wrote:Sometimes when its something new crabs do take time to get use to it. (Your species of crabs, PP's also don't 'swim' as much in comparison to other species as well) Give them some time, they will appreciate it. :)

Most people say that their crabs love to use wheels. If you have the funds or the willpower to do so, I'd encourage you to do and report back your findings.
My crabbies have had their pools for about 3wks now and I have only seen a couple drink at the edge. Have they forgotten they should submerge now and then?
Yes. Too funny. It too mine a long time before they let me catch them submerged. Every now, they all don't do it.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Sillysheep wrote:Would I just continue to use quick reply or what? Anyway.... still no soakers. Dorothy does go all around the edge and she thinks she wants to, just hasn't yet. I haven't seen each one drink from these, only assuming they do. We are accustomed to drinking water dishes changed out every evening. There is no room for those now, am I safe to have these for the only water supply? I can change often, they each have double pans.

I did go get a wheel yesterday. Modified it, thanks for the instructions GotButterflies. Even though I had to do it a little different because my canvas was not big enough, and my wheel was different than yours. Do you thimk I should take them out of tank for play to learn it. What is the best way to introduce them to new toys such as this.I watched some videos of a "flat like" wheel that was cool. I just want them to love it....

I do not know how to add pictures to this post, only the "pictures" board. I guess for now I will put a picture of their wheel and pools there. Please always let me know how to right my wrongs in posting and crab care.
ImageImage

Not great picture quality, but I can add pictures with my phone easy. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Looks great! What kind of containers did you use for the pools?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Crabsalicious wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:Would I just continue to use quick reply or what? Anyway.... still no soakers. Dorothy does go all around the edge and she thinks she wants to, just hasn't yet. I haven't seen each one drink from these, only assuming they do. We are accustomed to drinking water dishes changed out every evening. There is no room for those now, am I safe to have these for the only water supply? I can change often, they each have double pans.

I did go get a wheel yesterday. Modified it, thanks for the instructions GotButterflies. Even though I had to do it a little different because my canvas was not big enough, and my wheel was different than yours. Do you thimk I should take them out of tank for play to learn it. What is the best way to introduce them to new toys such as this.I watched some videos of a "flat like" wheel that was cool. I just want them to love it....

I do not know how to add pictures to this post, only the "pictures" board. I guess for now I will put a picture of their wheel and pools there. Please always let me know how to right my wrongs in posting and crab care.
ImageImage

Not great picture quality, but I can add pictures with my phone easy. Looking forward to hearing from you.

They are paint trays for trimming. I got them at Lowe's. There is two salt and two fresh so I just pull the top one out to clean them. There is stones glued to the "ramp". It's easy for them to get in and out.

Last edited by Sillysheep on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Sillysheep wrote:
Crabsalicious wrote:

ImageImage

They are paint trays for trimming. I got them at Lowe's. There is two salt and two fresh so I just pull the top one out to clean them. There is some guess stop the "ramp". It's easy for them to get in and out.

Thanks for the fast reply, I'm going to Lowe's to get some!! ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:31 pm

Crabsalicious wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:
Crabsalicious wrote:Looks great! What kind of containers did you use for the pools?

They are paint trays for trimming. I got them at Lowe's. There is two salt and two fresh so I just pull the top one out to clean them. There is some guess stop the "ramp". It's easy for them to get in and out.

Thanks for the fast reply, I'm going to Lowe's to get some!! ImageImageImageImageImageImage

No problem.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Sillysheep wrote:
Crabsalicious wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:They are paint trays for trimming. I got them at Lowe's. There is two salt and two fresh so I just pull the top one out to clean them. There is some guess stop the "ramp". It's easy for them to get in and out.

No problem.

I got these paint trays at Walmart. They each have a tray underneath for easy removal, with stones in the bottom tray. Then stones in the pool and craft mesh zip tied to the ramp.Image

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:16 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:
Crabsalicious wrote:Thanks for the fast reply, I'm going to Lowe's to get some!! ImageImageImageImageImageImage

No problem.

I got these paint trays at Walmart. They each have a tray underneath for easy removal, with stones in the bottom tray. Then stones in the pool and craft mesh zip tied to the ramp.Image

Love that! Walmart is more convienient too since I need the playsand and rocks. Thank you your pools look lovely! ImageImage

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
Sillysheep wrote:
Crabsalicious wrote:Thanks for the fast reply, I'm going to Lowe's to get some!! ImageImageImageImageImageImage

No problem.

How often do you change the water in the pools?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:23 pm

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk[/quote]How often do you change the water in the pools?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk[/quote]

My goal was weekly but it's more like every 2 wks. But if the water seems to be getting low, I top it off.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk[/quote]Love that! Walmart is more convienient too since I need the playsand and rocks. Thank you your pools look lovely!

Thank you! I put the blue mesh for the salwater...like the ocean. Otherwise I'd forget which was which. Lol

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:49 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Love that! Walmart is more convienient too since I need the playsand and rocks. Thank you your pools look lovely! ImageImage

Thank you! I put the blue mesh for the salwater...like the ocean. Otherwise I'd forget which was which. Lol[/quote]Good idea!

Crabsalicious

Post by Crabsalicious » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:50 pm

My goal was weekly but it's more like every 2 wks. But if the water seems to be getting low, I top it off.[/quote]Ok thanks! I assume that's because you have an air bubble you can do that? I don't have an air bubble and change the water like every two days

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:10 pm

Crabsalicious wrote:

My goal was weekly but it's more like every 2 wks. But if the water seems to be getting low, I top it off.[/quote]Ok thanks! I assume that's because you have an air bubble you can do that? I don't have an air bubble and change the water like every two days

I only have a bubbler in the fresh water. I don't think they go in it. I don't see any evidence of that, so no need to clean too often.

Topic author
Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
Crabsalicious wrote:

My goal was weekly but it's more like every 2 wks. But if the water seems to be getting low, I top it off.
Ok thanks! I assume that's because you have an air bubble you can do that? I don't have an air bubble and change the water like every two days

I only have a bubbler in the fresh water. I don't think they go in it. I don't see any evidence of that, so no need to clean too often.[/quote]When I top of the water, I use fresh water in both because the salt in the salt water doesn't evaporate.