New Here and New Crab Owner

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
myruggy89

New Here and New Crab Owner

Post by myruggy89 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:17 pm

Hello all!

After lurking over the past year when I got my first hermit crab, I decided it was time to join and get more help via the forums.

I started off with 1 medium PP crab last year as a birthday gift (per request) and quickly realized that I needed way more than the little critter keeper hermit crab "kit" that I had. I ended up adopting two other hermit crabs from someone who didn't want to put the work into caring for them. I then had a 10 gal tank for my 3 PP hermits. Since then, I have learned so much as to what they need for care. They have all gone through successful molting spurts and new shell changes. Fast forward to fall going into winter, the crabs go into their next molt. My aggressive crab decided that he would dig up the molting crab and steal his shell. After isolating the naked molting crab, he soon died after that, leaving me with two crabs left. I currently have one crab molting (I hope! It's been 3 months), and the other crab doing his happy crab things. My current to-do and must-do task is create a humid environment as I only have a cage/grate lid that came with the 10 gal tank given to me, and to upgrade the heating pad as the current one is small (especially now that it is winter and it seems cooler in my home).

I have learned so much from this site/forum alone, and I hope to create the perfect crabitat for years to come!
Sarah
AKA: myruggy89

piratetoothgir

Re: New Here and New Crab Owner

Post by piratetoothgir » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:58 pm

myruggy89 wrote:Hello all!

After lurking over the past year when I got my first hermit crab, I decided it was time to join and get more help via the forums.

I started off with 1 medium PP crab last year as a birthday gift (per request) and quickly realized that I needed way more than the little critter keeper hermit crab "kit" that I had. I ended up adopting two other hermit crabs from someone who didn't want to put the work into caring for them. I then had a 10 gal tank for my 3 PP hermits. Since then, I have learned so much as to what they need for care. They have all gone through successful molting spurts and new shell changes. Fast forward to fall going into winter, the crabs go into their next molt. My aggressive crab decided that he would dig up the molting crab and steal his shell. After isolating the naked molting crab, he soon died after that, leaving me with two crabs left. I currently have one crab molting (I hope! It's been 3 months), and the other crab doing his happy crab things. My current to-do and must-do task is create a humid environment as I only have a cage/grate lid that came with the 10 gal tank given to me, and to upgrade the heating pad as the current one is small (especially now that it is winter and it seems cooler in my home).

I have learned so much from this site/forum alone, and I hope to create the perfect crabitat for years to come!
Congrats on finding the forum, and making a turn to better conditions!
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Lewisthecrab

Post by Lewisthecrab » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:30 pm

That's great! If you need anything, let the HCA know! We're here to help! :D
"To boldly go where no crab has gone before"

Current Crab population: 3
Tank size: 10 gallon

Current residents: Lewis(male), Nico(male), Alexa(female)

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Oh hai!
Welcome to the HCA... as mentioned, any questions you have - we're always happy to help! :D

Sorry you lost your crab! :(

Have you read the shell guide in the shell section? We recommend 3-5 shells per crab... but type of shell matters too.

Also, what are you feeding your crabbabbies? When Crabs Attack, it may be a sign that they haven't got access to enough calcium or protein.

In case you haven't seen it yet, here is the care guide:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=92457

:crabbigsmile:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Hi! Welcome to the HCA (Officially!) :butterfly::

Aggressiveness can come from a crowded tank - I personally like 5 gallons per crabs medium sized and under. Any size above that require more space :)

As far as your mesh lid - you can use press-n-seal, saran wrap, packaging tape, duct tape or a piece of plexiglass to help seal it to make it more humid. You just can't use a light with those options :)

As LJJ mentioned, Shell stealing can be due to lack of choice of shells. Please check the shell guide for that :)

Sorry about your hermit loss. Hermits will not survive without their shell. :(

As far as UTHs, I personally love www.reptilebasics.com or www.beanfarm.com - they are great UTHs for the price. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com