Not eating

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Not eating

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:34 pm

The last several days it doesn't seem like my crabs are eating. I used to catch them but not for days. Not even popcorn. Or honey. Or food I got from hermie's kitchen. I even put one by the food. A few minutes later he was hiding somewhere. I got the temp and humidity up so I'm hoping to see more activity. They've been hanging out up against the tank where the heater is.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Not eating

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:46 am

Sometimes crabs go through times when they're less energetic about eating. It can be linked to moult cycles - they'll slow down a bunch.

Also, they may just be eating reeeeally tiny, dainty pinches.

You can try smoothing out the sand around the food at night & see if there are any crab foots prints in the morning.

Either way, try not to worry. We all see periods of seemingly low food intake from time to time. :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Lewisthecrab

Post by Lewisthecrab » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:37 am

It's ok. My crabs didn't see treat for like DAYS and then I discovered a secret food cache! It could be that.
"To boldly go where no crab has gone before"

Current Crab population: 3
Tank size: 10 gallon

Current residents: Lewis(male), Nico(male), Alexa(female)

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:12 am

Lewisthecrab wrote:It's ok. My crabs didn't see treat for like DAYS and then I discovered a secret food cache! It could be that.
I don't think so. Even the popcorn is still there. A little shriveled but still there.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:52 pm

Is their tank warm enough?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:22 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Is their tank warm enough?
I finally got the tank warm and humid. Even put a blanket on top.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:36 pm

Now that their tank is warm enough they should start to move around in the next day or so which will lead to them eating again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:45 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Now that their tank is warm enough they should start to move around in the next day or so which will lead to them eating again

Thanks. I have a question. With the insulation on all sides of the tank, including the lid, how do they get any daylight?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:22 am

They need 12 hr day & 12hr night.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:28 pm

GotButterflies wrote:They need 12 hr day & 12hr night.

I know but if the tank is covered in insulation and a blanket, how does that happen? If I take off the insulation and blanket, then it's too cold.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:25 pm

Do you have any lighting that you could use?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:55 pm

A goose neck lamp or old aquarium hood would be ideal. You can clear a little space over the top where the light can shine in. Incandescent bulbs give off heat, so where the light shines won't become a heat sink so long as the bulb isn't too far away. You can use your hand to make sure of this.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:45 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:A goose neck lamp or old aquarium hood would be ideal. You can clear a little space over the top where the light can shine in. Incandescent bulbs give off heat, so where the light shines won't become a heat sink so long as the bulb isn't too far away. You can use your hand to make sure of this.
But won't that kill the humidity? Wouldn't flourescent be better?

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:46 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
LadyJinglyJones wrote:A goose neck lamp or old aquarium hood would be ideal. You can clear a little space over the top where the light can shine in. Incandescent bulbs give off heat, so where the light shines won't become a heat sink so long as the bulb isn't too far away. You can use your hand to make sure of this.
But won't that kill the humidity? Wouldn't flourescent be better?
If its not pressed up right next to the lid - aka gap for heat to escape - it should have little affect on humidity.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:57 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:They need 12 hr day & 12hr night.

I know but if the tank is covered in insulation and a blanket, how does that happen? If I take off the insulation and blanket, then it's too cold.
Can you add another or different heater?