Not eating

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Re: Not eating

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:17 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:They need 12 hr day & 12hr night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know but if the tank is covered in insulation and a blanket, how does that happen? If I take off the insulation and blanket, then it's too cold.
Can you add another or different heater?

I guess. On the side. The back is already covered with 2 heaters. My husband has an 18" flourescent light that I can use. I will just cut out a length of the insulation that's on the lid to accomodate the light. It won't give off heat though. Which on one hand is good because it won't affect the humidity.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:31 am

Actually we just put an led light in the lamp i already had. An led is ok, right?
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Yup! :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:41 am

GotButterflies wrote:Now that their tank is warm enough they should start to move around in the next day or so which will lead to them eating again

There was a shell change (which is always exciting) but still no signs of eating. Not even the popcorn.

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Try bloodworms. My guys go crazy for bloodworms.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk
5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:58 pm

NLindsey921 wrote:Try bloodworms. My guys go crazy for bloodworms.

I do have dried bloodworms. And actually that's the only thing I saw disturbed a few days ago.

NLindsey921

Post by NLindsey921 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Some people use frozen. If you can get a hold of some of them they might eat them.

5pps: Jimbo, Tiny, Mr Krabs, Felicia, Sebastian

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:05 pm

NLindsey921 wrote:Some people use frozen. If you can get a hold of some of them they might eat them.

Ok. We used to have when we had a betta fish.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Have you tried scrambled or boiled eggs? Mine love those!

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:06 pm

My crabs really like the Flukers color darkener thingy which includes freeze dried raisins, cherries, and more
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:17 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Have you tried scrambled or boiled eggs? Mine love those!

Not in a while. I'll try again. I had been able to watch them eat almost nightly but not for awhile.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 pm

How long?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:19 pm

AwesomeHermit wrote:How long?
At least a week. Possibly a little longer. They are going in and out of the moss pits. So that's good.

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:29 am

Question though. I have now a uvb light on but since they are usually in hiding during the day, how do they benefit from it? This pic is from this morning but now that I turned the light on, I assume they will go hide. It's their favorite spot, by the edge of the pool up against the heater. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:

Question though. I have now a uvb light on but since they are usually in hiding during the day, how do they benefit from it? This pic is from this morning but now that I turned the light on, I assume they will go hide. It's their favorite spot, by the edge of the pool up against the heater. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Yup. 5 minutes later they were both under the log. I even put in a branch from our burning bush, which I've read in posts crabs love. Mine ignored it.