Second level and mold

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
leah610

Second level and mold

Post by leah610 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:22 pm

Hi everyone! So I have been struggling with mold in my tank for some time, and it's usually only concentrated in one area of the tank: on one side of the lizard lounger hammock I have. From the label, it's made out of all natural seagrass, but under the high humidity in the tank it molds quite terribly. I've tried sea salt soaks, baking, setting it under the sun for days..the mold just always returns. I used to let it die off, but it just returns full force. Is there another kind of netting or hammock that may be more resistant to mold than this one? I've got my eyes on a hemp hammock on Etsy (I've had luck with jute cord not molding in my tank- I assume hemp won't be much different) but I want to see if there's any more options of good sturdy nets/hammocks or other second levels that I can stretch along the length of my tank. What about wood? What's the difference between mopani wood and grapewood, and what do I need to know if decide on getting either of these? I just want to make sure by crabbos can explore wherever they please. :D Thanks!

piratetoothgir

Re: Second level and mold

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:43 pm

I actually found that mold grows on the hammocks when they are new, especially the straw ones. If you put your hammock in the full sun for an hour, it’ll kill mold germs, and prevent them from growing as quickly, or as often. I haven’t experienced any mold on mine for six months after I put it in the sun for an hour.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
leah610

Post by leah610 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi! I have actually put the hammock in the full sun plenty of times, even for more than an hour. It doesn't seem to do much under my tank conditions.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Hmm, well it worked for me.
Why not trying to rinse it under some hot water, not all the way up. I did that, and went to soak it in the sun, and that’s what cured it for me.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Lewisthecrab

Post by Lewisthecrab » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Hemp won't really work. If you want a hammock, get a plastic one
"To boldly go where no crab has gone before"

Current Crab population: 3
Tank size: 10 gallon

Current residents: Lewis(male), Nico(male), Alexa(female)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:02 pm

You can soak any net or items made out of natural fibers in marine salt water and allow it to air dry. The salt inhibits mold growth.

Mold isn't harmful to crabs anyway and is just a part of crabbing life.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:03 pm

Maybe try moving it around, could be that corner have high humdity and low airflow..?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
leah610

Post by leah610 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:55 pm

I've soaked it in msw and let it air dry outside in the sun. Usually it's fine for some time before the mold comes back. It's only the side of the hammock that hangs above the water baths that molds, so I do think that the moisture and lack of airflow could be why. I've tried moving the hammock around in the tank, but it's too large to position it appropriately. That's why I've been looking into different options for second levels. Anyone familiar with wood climbing structures as a second level?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:20 pm

Pretty much anything organic is going to mold over in a high humidity environment, natural things are food sources for the mold. Some things are more resistant than others. Hemp and jute work well for netting, there are a few hermit crabs stores that make and sell them if you don't crochet. Mopani is better than other woods at not getting all green or fuzzy, but it still might get funky for a few weeks.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
leah610

Post by leah610 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:29 pm

wodesorel wrote:Pretty much anything organic is going to mold over in a high humidity environment, natural things are food sources for the mold. Some things are more resistant than others. Hemp and jute work well for netting, there are a few hermit crabs stores that make and sell them if you don't crochet. Mopani is better than other woods at not getting all green or fuzzy, but it still might get funky for a few weeks.
Thanks wodesorel for the reply! Good to know- do I need to do anything before placing it in? Soak in msw and let dry in the sun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:00 pm

Soaking in salt will help, but you do have to make sure it is completely dry all the way through or it will mold even quicker!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:02 pm

wodesorel wrote:Soaking in salt will help, but you do have to make sure it is completely dry all the way through or it will mold even quicker!
Oh. I once had mold on a piece of driftwood and I soaked it in water and it didn’t get rid of the molt. But I forgot to let it dry.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:19 am

Sounds like everyone has covered your question! :) I just wanted to let you know that authentic fish net also doesn't mold. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com