reptilebasics UTH

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

reptilebasics UTH

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Hello! I am planning to get a UTH from reptile basics + a thermostat for Christmas. Though, the thermostats are a little... pricey. I want to buy this thermostat on amazon, but the heater needs to be a 3 prong plug for it to be compatible. Do the heaters from reptilebasics have a 3 prong plug?
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

Motörcrab

Re: reptilebasics UTH

Post by Motörcrab » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:55 pm

The Reptile Basic Ultratherms only have two prongs. I don't think any UTH heaters have three prong plugs. I am not sure if having three prongs would matter or not. Like plugging a phone charger into a standard wall outlet. I would do some research just to be safe.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:42 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:55 pm
The Reptile Basic Ultratherms only have two prongs. I don't think any UTH heaters have three prong plugs. I am not sure if having three prongs would matter or not. Like plugging a phone charger into a standard wall outlet. I would do some research just to be safe.
Okay, thank you! I'm just a bit worried because i try to keep my room pretty warm in winter, and i wouldn't want to bake my crabs if i were to get a UTH! I'll do more research. Meanwhile, if anyone has any thermostats they can suggest, that would be appreciated!
New owner to 8 hermits, two of them belong to my aunt (and some of the others we both own). Hermits from smallest to largest: Dwebble, McShelldon, Crustle, Piggy, Sharkie, Lint. Snappy.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:43 am

We use regulators with our UTH. The temp never gets too hot that way

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:58 am

The thermostats that reptile basic sells are extremely good, and they operate differently than the cheaper models that the companies like zoomed sell. If anything were to go wrong they would fail into the off position, keeping the animals they are protecting safe from being burned. (I had a dimmer light on my crabs go once and it failed into the on position. Tank was 120 degrees, so it's something I always consider now!) Some models have some really nice bells and whistles, too - night modes that drop the temperature automatically, digital temperature sensors, memory settings so power losses have no effect, adjustable audible alarms so you know if it's too hot or cold. Some of the multiple outlet models can do both heat and humidity sources at the same time. After messing with entry level thermostats I went with Herpstats, myself. I've never had to touch it since setting it.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:55 am

Like @wodesorel mentioned, there's a huge variety of regulators. If yiu have the budget for it, Herpstat is definitely the way to go. If you're on a budget, I kbord offers a range of regulators, but you need to ensure it's calibrated properly. Mine was off by 2C.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Scarletfire wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:55 am
Like @wodesorel mentioned, there's a huge variety of regulators. If yiu have the budget for it, Herpstat is definitely the way to go. If you're on a budget, I kbord offers a range of regulators, but you need to ensure it's calibrated properly. Mine was off by 2C.

Yeah. I'm on quite a budget here. I'm just a 15 year old with no job, so i usually buy stuff with the help of my nanny or aunt. This christmas i'll be asking for a lot of hermit crab stuff, specifically a UTH for the 100gal tank. Can you please send me a link to the regulators you're talking about?

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:46 pm

They are on Amazon. They may be like $20 or so. Plug the UTH into it, then plug the regulator into the wall. Set your temp. It's easy and maintains a steady heat within a few degrees. We have them for all 5 tanks.Image

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
IsolatedShadow

Post by IsolatedShadow » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:03 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:46 pm
They are on Amazon. They may be like $20 or so. Plug the UTH into it, then plug the regulator into the wall. Set your temp. It's easy and maintains a steady heat within a few degrees. We have them for all 5 tanks.Image

Oh! i saw a similar product on amazon, looked the same save for a different logo, lol. And the price isn't bad at all. Thank you very much!!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:58 pm

The regulators xeno mentioned are like $20 on Amazon. They are basic with no additional settings like Wodesorel mentioned. It would be nice to have a night mode and some sort of temperature alert.

Even though there thermostats measure the temperature we still use an Acurite in each tank as a double check.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

destahays

Post by destahays » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:46 am

In case you are interested, I am going to be selling my UTH's as well as my daytime/nitetime heat lamp that has a regulator. Also selling everything in my tank, my shells, cholla, etc....you can have your family contact me if you'd like. I'd give them a fair deal and probably throw in a lot of extras too :) If interested send me a PM and I can give you my email to pass on to them.....

Scarletfire

Post by Scarletfire » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:00 am

This is the one I use. $40 Cad. Its budget, with alerts if it goes over or below a certain temperature. Image