Do hamster wheels have to be plastic?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Kydra

Re: Do hamster wheels have to be plastic?

Post by Kydra » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:13 am

I really wanted to add a hamster wheel with my upgrade, but with all of this I'm so hesitant. I think of them traveling miles a night and feel bad without a wheel, but never have been creative and I'm never in any craft type shops for that matter.

Not to hijack this thread, but is there a specific wheel that would work out of box from Amazon or even Petco that anyone would recommend? If not, I've also seen much more climbing space in crabitat pictures with crate/mesh(?) plastic on the back and sides. Is this easy to obtain?

Probably have to get to some kind of craft shop I guess, but as a 30 something dude that's not really my area of expertise lol. Wouldn't even know of a "craft" shop, but I'm sure could Google one in my area. At minimum, I'd like to add the climbing areas to the tank.

Thanks for any help!

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:23 am

Kydra wrote:I really wanted to add a hamster wheel with my upgrade, but with all of this I'm so hesitant. I think of them traveling miles a night and feel bad without a wheel, but never have been creative and I'm never in any craft type shops for that matter.

Not to hijack this thread, but is there a specific wheel that would work out of box from Amazon or even Petco that anyone would recommend? If not, I've also seen much more climbing space in crabitat pictures with crate/mesh(?) plastic on the back and sides. Is this easy to obtain?

Probably have to get to some kind of craft shop I guess, but as a 30 something dude that's not really my area of expertise lol. Wouldn't even know of a "craft" shop, but I'm sure could Google one in my area. At minimum, I'd like to add the climbing areas to the tank.

Thanks for any help!
The Kaytee silent spinner is almost ready to go from the start. You just have to add a strip or two of craft mesh to the inside so the crabbies can grip the wheel. I hung mine upside-down on the aquarium back by using 2 plastic Command hooks.
You can buy the craft mesh and hooks on Amazon, but I found both of them a bit cheaper at the craft shop, AC Moore. If you go to AC Moore, make sure you go on their website and print out their coupons for the week. They usually have a 40-55% off one item coupon every week. You could use it for the hooks. The craft mesh at my store was 0.79 per sheet.
My crabbies haven't discovered what the wheel does yet but I'm hopeful!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:47 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:23 am
The Kaytee silent spinner is almost ready to go from the start. You just have to add a strip or two of craft mesh to the inside so the crabbies can grip the wheel. I hung mine upside-down on the aquarium back by using 2 plastic Command hooks.
You can buy the craft mesh and hooks on Amazon, but I found both of them a bit cheaper at the craft shop, AC Moore. If you go to AC Moore, make sure you go on their website and print out their coupons for the week. They usually have a 40-55% off one item coupon every week. You could use it for the hooks. The craft mesh at my store was 0.79 per sheet.
My crabbies haven't discovered what the wheel does yet but I'm hopeful!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Thank you so much for the details and links! I actually already have command hooks so just need the wheel and the mesh. Appreciate the help esp with links. I had looked at Amazon before for wheels and saw all different kinds, all different sizes, I just tabled the wheel idea until I could figure it out. Hopefully your guys will get the wheel moving soon enough! Think with this thread and your help I'm good to go with it finally. 👍👍

Topic author
VickieG

Post by VickieG » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:10 pm

Ok, here it is as of today. I modified the design a tad to make it spin better. I used 4 Scotch Dual-Lock squares to mount it to the side of the tank. It's going nowhere...I tried to move it up a bit and it takes some effort to pull it off. I can still remove it and put in the Kaytee spinner if you think there's any danger here.

I used a threaded rod, cut to size, added stainless steel stop-bolts (has a nylon center) and an aluminum lid instead of the plastic lid. I also covered the threaded rod completely with airline tubing. The nut on the outside is sanded smooth, the light makes it look a bit jagged but it isn't.

Fingers crossed!Image

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:26 pm

Kydra wrote: Thank you so much for the details and links! I actually already have command hooks so just need the wheel and the mesh. Appreciate the help esp with links. I had looked at Amazon before for wheels and saw all different kinds, all different sizes, I just tabled the wheel idea until I could figure it out. Hopefully your guys will get the wheel moving soon enough! Think with this thread and your help I'm good to go with it finally. ImageImage
You're welcome! I didn't even know crabs would like a wheel until I found the HCA. Hopefully your crabbies will figure out the wheel faster than mine! Good luck! ImageImage

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
VickieG

Post by VickieG » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:33 pm

All that and they haven't touched it! Not that I'm surprised, exactly. They haven't gone near most of the stuff I put in the tank. Maybe it'll take a few weeks before they're comfortable enough to explore?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:12 pm

VickieG wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:33 pm
All that and they haven't touched it! Not that I'm surprised, exactly. They haven't gone near most of the stuff I put in the tank. Maybe it'll take a few weeks before they're comfortable enough to explore?

Just leave the wheel in there. They'll eventually discover it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:34 pm

Thank you all for this thread! God job Vickie it looks awesome! I have been noticing as I explore and try to read as much as I can that wheels seem really popular, this thread gave me some ideas and clues as to what I should be looking for.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

DragonsFly

Post by DragonsFly » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:09 pm

VickieG wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:10 pm
Ok, here it is as of today. I modified the design a tad to make it spin better. I used 4 Scotch Dual-Lock squares to mount it to the side of the tank. It's going nowhere...I tried to move it up a bit and it takes some effort to pull it off. I can still remove it and put in the Kaytee spinner if you think there's any danger here.

I used a threaded rod, cut to size, added stainless steel stop-bolts (has a nylon center) and an aluminum lid instead of the plastic lid. I also covered the threaded rod completely with airline tubing. The nut on the outside is sanded smooth, the light makes it look a bit jagged but it isn't.

Fingers crossed!Image

OKAY! Wow, you really kept gnawing at this! Yes, now there's no way that the diameter rods will cross with another rod while it spins-- does it still spin fairly freely?
--{}: Dragons Fly Farm --{}:
Resident PP's:"Major Tom" & "Billie Jean"

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:27 pm

Sorry for jumping back in on this thread, but I purchased the silent spinner with, I'm assuming, the white coated metal. I've been messing around in the tank, but have one molter down and was changing too much.

After messing with command hooks, etc. I found a spot to just sit it on the substrate using the stand. Nothing gets in the way as far as their limbs or anything, but is it ok to have it this way or should I just take it out until I can figure out a better way with my setup to hang it upside down? I'm just concerned RE the coated metal being a possible issue.

My crabs are like clockwork and were itching to get me away so it's in there. Please let me know if I should take it out. Thank you all for your help!!!

Kydra

Post by Kydra » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:33 pm

Ok so as soon as I posted this, I opened the wyze cam app and my adopted crab went right to the wheel, then came out, then back in and has been in there 'walking/spinning' since my previous post. That was quick! Now going to feel bad if I have to take it out. 😂😂🤣

Topic author
VickieG

Post by VickieG » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:07 pm

That's awesome Kydra! I finally took mine down. It did spin freely and was silent after all my efforts but not one of my 7 decided to give it a go. I'll put it back up in the spring and hopefully they'll be comfortable enough to check out the 'new' gizmo....they should be used to my interference by then and they usually seem to get more active then. Even though it's always the summer in the tank, they seem to sense the change in seasons anyway.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:32 pm

VickieG wrote:That's awesome Kydra! I finally took mine down. It did spin freely and was silent after all my efforts but not one of my 7 decided to give it a go. I'll put it back up in the spring and hopefully they'll be comfortable enough to check out the 'new' gizmo....they should be used to my interference by then and they usually seem to get more active then. Even though it's always the summer in the tank, they seem to sense the change in seasons anyway.

Aw you did so much hard work on that wheel! Did you try putting a treat/food in the wheel? I did that for a month before my crab Beau discovered the wheel. My crab June Bug only just discovered it, but still didn't figure out how to make it move lol. Image

Topic author
VickieG

Post by VickieG » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:42 pm

I did put some dried food in it once. It feels like forever to me, but it's only been a bit more than a month since I've last made significant adjustments to their hab. And now my 2 biggest girls, Harriet Houdini (she's tricky) and Coco SHanELL (she's fancy) have begun signs of molt preparation.

I've had Harriet 3+ yrs, 4 are from the beach in late Aug and 2 others I adopted last month. I'm supposed to adopt 3 more next wk. I guess I figure they're all still in that adjustment phase and hamster wheels probably fit into the category of "Things To Be Mistrusted", along with the really loud dog and the weird, clumsy giant that feeds and talks to them.

I'll put it back in a few months. Maybe when the big girls are done molting they'll be looking for some serious treadmill time! I'm very thankful to everyone for your help and suggestions.

I'm starting to wonder too if they might like the plastic canvas better than the burlap. I wonder if their setae get caught, making it uncomfortable or more difficult to move unobstructed. Any thoughts?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:24 pm

VickieG wrote:I did put some dried food in it once. It feels like forever to me, but it's only been a bit more than a month since I've last made significant adjustments to their hab. And now my 2 biggest girls, Harriet Houdini (she's tricky) and Coco SHanELL (she's fancy) have begun signs of molt preparation.

I've had Harriet 3+ yrs, 4 are from the beach in late Aug and 2 others I adopted last month. I'm supposed to adopt 3 more next wk. I guess I figure they're all still in that adjustment phase and hamster wheels probably fit into the category of "Things To Be Mistrusted", along with the really loud dog and the weird, clumsy giant that feeds and talks to them.

I'll put it back in a few months. Maybe when the big girls are done molting they'll be looking for some serious treadmill time! I'm very thankful to everyone for your help and suggestions.

I'm starting to wonder too if they might like the plastic canvas better than the burlap. I wonder if their setae get caught, making it uncomfortable or more difficult to move unobstructed. Any thoughts?

I had to do the food in the wheel trick every day just to get Beau to discover it. I still do it once a week or so. It looks like all 4 of mine are under now though. No food is being touched. Image
It's possible the feel of the wheel might be off putting, but probably more likely that they just haven't realized what that big ole circle in their tank is for. You'll have to keep us updated when you put it back in the tank in a few months. Image