Crabitat cameras?

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Crabitat cameras?

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:50 pm

**no clue if I chose the right area...equipment seemed ok? Admins, plz move if wrong and I’m sorry!

So...I have absolutely no knowledge of cameras and I want one. I remember talking about a wyze camera on here but again, no clue what I’m doing, which to choose etc. I definitely need more help and info lol.
I jumped on eBay to check things out and noticed a few and I guess the one that makes the most sense is the pan zoom one? This way it’ll catch the entire crabitat? My tat is small, so one should suffice for the majority of it. I think so anyways.

Anywayzzzzz.....if any of you can lend some good quality info on what options are out there and which are better for this type of thing, that would be great! I’m sure not everyone uses these wyze cams right? Maybe you all do! What’s your experience? Have you upgraded? Plug and play sounds ideal but I’d like to actually view my footage and not lose it. Is that an option on some of these?
One of the docs I work with showed me a set up he has but 200 per camera is beyond my means on an amazing day. Regardless, I’m just totally clueless. Reading y’alls experiences, thoughts etc would be a lot more beneficial than me going in blind and trying to choose something. Other ppl may be better with this stuff, hence y I am hoping for y’all to talk with me about it. Thanks y’all!
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Xenocrab

Re: Crabitat cameras?

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:17 pm

The wyze cams are simple! You can put an sd card in them and record everything.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:44 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:17 pm
The wyze cams are simple! You can put an sd card in them and record everything.

U use them? Can u show me a pic of how y’all have it set up in the tat? Which version do u have?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:21 pm

I have the original bottom-priced Wyze. Am on vacation and was excited to be able to check in on the hermies now and then. But my small cat who likes to sleep on top of the plexiglass where it's warm, must have bumped it and I can't see anything! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:27 pm

I have the basic $20 wyze with an sd card. It's very simple to use. Its square and has a small adjusting platform. You download an app onto your phone to view the camera. I have it mounted on the wall above the tank. it comes with some double sided sticking. I just used what I had on hand already to mount it and I have moved it 2x already. I started above my 40 to see who is coming up and recently I added 6 new crabs and put them in a 20 while I'm putting the finishing touches on an aquarium stand for a 75. With the sd card it records and saves the past 48 hrs which you can go back and view. It had night vision so you can see what they are up to in the dark.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:08 am

Don't get the pan cam. It's a bit noisy and obviously moves. With a small tank a regular one will capture the whole tank. Except of course the side the camera is on.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:37 am

Moe2076 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:27 pm
I have the basic $20 wyze with an sd card. It's very simple to use. Its square and has a small adjusting platform. You download an app onto your phone to view the camera. I have it mounted on the wall above the tank. it comes with some double sided sticking. I just used what I had on hand already to mount it and I have moved it 2x already. I started above my 40 to see who is coming up and recently I added 6 new crabs and put them in a 20 while I'm putting the finishing touches on an aquarium stand for a 75. With the sd card it records and saves the past 48 hrs which you can go back and view. It had night vision so you can see what they are up to in the dark.

Do you ever have soo much humidity that u can’t see through to the activity? Thanks for your help!

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:37 am

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:08 am
Don't get the pan cam. It's a bit noisy and obviously moves. With a small tank a regular one will capture the whole tank. Except of course the side the camera is on.
Did u have one? Do u use a cam? Thanks for your input!

Moe2076

Post by Moe2076 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:34 am

I noticed it was harder to see the 20 gallon, which has a screened in lid. But it is still better than nothing and worth it to know what crabs are up to and able to actually see them acting natural in their environment vs hoping to get lucky staring into the tank at pet sand. I've misted a couple times and that has made it a little foggy, but it goes away after a while. It's easily the best investment for my crabs I have found yet (3 tanks,many totes, Tupperware dishes shells,PVC pipe, egg crate and craft mesh you name it, the cheap camera is the best thing for my crab enjoyment.
18 PP: 2 teenie 3 small Gumbo; 1 small/med shell diva; 6 med: Evil Kenival 6 med/large
3 dogs: Maltipoo Tosh Pomeranian/Spitz Kaylee: Rotwieler/hound Bear
4 cats: Dottie calico Luna: DSH grey and white Moxie:kitten with spunk Ellis:Big lovey orange tabby

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:43 am

Crabby in NJ wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:37 am
Did u have one? Do u use a cam? Thanks for your input!
I started out using the Wyze cam but after a year it stopped working. Probably due to heat and humidity. I switched to this
https://www.amazon.com/360-Wireless-Sec ... B0725JSSCN

I find it easier to position than the square wyze cam. I use a micro sd card with it. I have 2 in my 90 gal and 1 in my 40.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:45 am

We keep our cams on the outside of the tanks

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:25 pm

Moe2076 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:34 am
I noticed it was harder to see the 20 gallon, which has a screened in lid. But it is still better than nothing and worth it to know what crabs are up to and able to actually see them acting natural in their environment vs hoping to get lucky staring into the tank at pet sand. I've misted a couple times and that has made it a little foggy, but it goes away after a while. It's easily the best investment for my crabs I have found yet (3 tanks,many totes, Tupperware dishes shells,PVC pipe, egg crate and craft mesh you name it, the cheap camera is the best thing for my crab enjoyment.
I have a glass lid that stays soaking wet with humidity. My humidity is always registering at 99% no matter which hygrometer I’ve used and I just bout yet another one(acurite indoor/outdoor from wally 🌎) I stopped misting every day to try to combat this however everyone seems to be on the same page when they say that this % of humidity is okay. This is my biggest concern with the cams - not being able to see inside if I put them outside. Wyze has an indoor outdoor now it seems as well as little boxes made by 3D printers to house the cams for protection. Maybe that’s a good idea? What do u think, moe?
I totally agree with having a cam as the whole staring at my pet sand has taken over my nights and not good for work the next day lol sad but true. That’s y I brought the subject back up. Trying to choose the best camera, which brand etc. when I have no clue on any of it does me absolutely no justice and I get frustrated trying to figure it out lol I’d be happier if I could record it on a tape or cd and switch em out as needed tbh lol sad I know! Anyways, again, ty for your time and the reply! Feel free to add pics! Lol

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:30 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:43 am
I started out using the Wyze cam but after a year it stopped working. Probably due to heat and humidity. I switched to this
https://www.amazon.com/360-Wireless-Sec ... B0725JSSCN

I find it easier to position than the square wyze cam. I use a micro sd card with it. I have 2 in my 90 gal and 1 in my 40.
How long have u had them now? (Only ask bc of the year fail of wyze)
Do u like it better in terms of quality?
Has heat and humidity been an issue?
In/out of the tanks?
Sorry to play 20 questions. Thankfully all this info will help people eventually in the future 🙃❤️

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:34 pm

We had our Wyze cams for around a year. We keep ours on top of the lids because of the humidity and keeping electrical wires out of the tank where crabs can pick at them.

We like them because they are inexpensive and have minimal issues. Once in a while they need to be reset but it's a two minute fix. I have used the app to check in on my crabs all over the US, UK, Netherlands, Poland, and China with no major issues.

Here's a pic of a cam on top of our 29 and the view inside from the cam.ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:20 pm

Awesome traveling! I’ve never even been out the USA lol

What is the shadow? Idk what to call it. Looks like blinds? Does that show up at night? I think uve pretty much made my mind up. Have u considered any other model like the pan? Why or why not? Thanks motor! Really appreciate the pictures. Makes it much easier than trying to pretend in my head 😆!