Insulation

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Julsie

Insulation

Post by Julsie » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:54 am

I was reading about some insulation techniques to add to your tank and I had extra styrofoam laying around the house so I taped them up on the two sides of my tank. I just upgraded to a new 75 gallon tank from a 40 gallon tank where I had 3 UTHs (2 small 1 medium). I will be getting more UTHs to cover the entire back wall of the tank but for now I just have the 3. So I placed the two small UTHs one on each side of the tank (one near the front bottom corner and one near the back bottom corner) and the larger/medium sized UTH is placed directly in the middle near the bottom of the tank on the back wall. The back wall I just threw a large blanket on top of the tank to cover the backside and maybe it will help keep my tank temperature higher. I placed two styrofoam pieces on top of the two small UTHs covering it entirely from side to side (it was a perfect match in the length of my tank). I was reading online that taping a piece of styrofoam and covering the UTH will make the heat reach to the top of the tank. I read that a ball python owner did this but their UTH was placed on the bottom of their tank and not the side of the tank. Will I get basically the same results? The heat will be directed towards the top of the tank? And is the styrofoam insulation even a good thing to have done in my situation? Before I did this my tank temperature was around 72 degrees f. Shortly after the taping of the styrofoam began the tank temperature raised up to 75 degrees f. Thinking of adding two more blankets for the sides of the tank to help maybe get it warmer until I get more UTH’s like I said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overmountain1

Insulation

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:05 am

Have you considered using one large UTH? It should make for a more reliable and even heat, such as an Ultratherm?
Unfortunately, the smaller UTH like the zoomed or similar aren’t meant to be insulated. It can create a fire hazard. That’s why many of us have chosen to use the Ultratherm bc they are safe to insulate, and it is necessary for many. I personally insulate a couple of mine with tinfoil wrapped cardboard, and that was enough for my tank.
Perhaps someone else will have more suggestions, but I hope that helped a little bit! I’m at the dentist in the chair and waiting or Id try to write more.

Edit- Additionally, you do not want any heaters below the sub level, as it can be dangerous for molting crabs. I gotta run.

Topic author
Julsie

Re: Insulation

Post by Julsie » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:07 am

thank u! im ordering like 4 ultratherms off reptile basics as soon as i can

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:00 am

I also use tinfoil and cardboard. I have a plexi glass lid, and find if I fold up a wool blanket and place it over half of the lid, it really helps keep the temp up too. When it's -40C out and the wind is from the direction the room faces, I cover the whole top with a folded up blanket or two.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:13 pm

Fleabag to the rescue again! Fleabag helped make this guide for setting up the heating for a crabitat. This should give you a pretty good idea on how to get it set up properly. Fleabag helped with this 55. The only difference I would suggest is instead of using the PolyPro Insulation Board is to buy a roll of Reflectix insulation. It comes in various width and length rolls and is alot easier to work with too.

With having a 75 gallon tank you should be able to purchase a single 11 X 35" Ultratherm from Reptile Basics for the rear. As an additional heater possibly an 11 X 17 for one side too. Then control the large heater with a thermostat. That set up has been working on my 75 the last two winters in Pennsylvania. This year I haven't needed the additional UTH. I will soon not that I said that. You will probably have around $100 invested but shouldn't have any major worries.

Here is the help from Fleabag!
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=119297&hilit=Fleabags#p1072369
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities