Climbing wall

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Climbing wall

Post by Nessiandnoah » Tue May 19, 2020 9:35 am

So I recently saw some of this plastic mesh in a tank someone had for their hermies to climb, but I don’t know how to install it lol. I attached rubber bands to it to suspend it from the top but it’s wobbly so idk if they’ll use it that way? I tried taping it to the inside wall of the tank, but the tape wouldn’t stick to the plastic mesh well :-/ how do you apply this thing? Thanks in advance! I posted a pictures of how I have it which is suspended by rubber bands in the corner and I ended up taping the rubber bands on the inner glass but idk :-/ will that work? Thanks! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermielover121

Re: Climbing wall

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue May 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Well I am doing the same thing but I am thinking of using this tape my dad has that is REALLY strong ( they use it for putting car emblems on). But... it’s like 60 dollars and would not use if you don’t have it. This is going to be my first one so the only other thing I can think of is silicone.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue May 19, 2020 12:20 pm

I wouldn't recommend using any tape. The hermit crabs could pick at it - and besides - I doubt tape would stick in the crabitat. One option is running jute or hemp twine through it and hanging it from the lid. :) Try to purchase organic so it doesn't have pesticides on it. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Tue May 19, 2020 12:37 pm

I mean will they climb it if it moves around while they climb it? This shouldn’t move too much but it is sort of hanging there :-/ so it’s a little wobbly.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue May 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Sure, they will!

If you don't have your yard sprayed with pesticides or fertilizers, and your city/county doesn't spray for mosquitoes (you would have to call), you could also use branches from crab safe trees for things for them to climb on (Oak, Maple, Sweetgum). Just bake the branches to kill the bugs. :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 pm

What about the rubber bands I used to tie the mesh together? Is that safe for them? They won’t try to eat it right? I assumed thy wouldn’t since they don’t try to eat their plastic plants and stuff, but I wanted to make sure. I won’t use tape if they don’t mind it being wobbly. I am dying to catch them climbing it! Lol

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:22 pm

Oh I guess that was not a good idea I haven’t done it yet thankfully but what should I do since I am putting the climbing wall up into the topper tank i won’t be a way to use Jute to put it through the lid since there is no lid on the topper tank how would you recommend doing it

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Tue May 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Can you tape the string you’re using to the outside of the tank to hold it up?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 19, 2020 5:36 pm

We added Flukers Bamboo Rods to hold the mesh to the back of the tank. As long as you don't have a tank wider that 15" they should work as is.

https://flukerfarms.com/bamboo-bars/

Eventually the mesh will sag a little bit since the suction cup doesn't stick in place. It's a super easy fix to just slide the mesh back up. You may need to add a tension rod every 12-16" so it doesn't come away from the tank.

We also wrapped our tension rods with jute rope. Our crabs love climbing and hanging out on them.

Here is a link to our our Crabby Nursery tank. If you scroll down you can see some progress pictures and the tension rods.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120521&hilit=nursery

Another option would be suction cups or command hooks to secure the mesh. You would probably need to cut some small holes in the mesh for the hooks. A lot of people have issues with both of them sticking. Myself included.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Oh thank for the ideas. For some reason when I put Jute in my tank it goes moldy overtime does yours?

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Tue May 19, 2020 5:47 pm

Oh nice I didn’t think of suction cups or anything. I may def do that

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 19, 2020 6:09 pm

Hermielover121 wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:44 pm
Oh thank for the ideas. For some reason when I put Jute in my tank it goes moldy overtime does yours?

Not very often. We will soak our climbing ladder in dechlorinated salt water before putting them in the tank. It helps reduce mold. Years ago before we had freezers people would salt meats to help preserve them. It isn't exactly the same but similar. It also works with pieces of wood too.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 am

Nessiandnoah wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:36 pm
Can you tape the string you’re using to the outside of the tank to hold it up?
Yes

Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Wed May 20, 2020 8:27 pm

Nessiandnoah wrote:What about the rubber bands I used to tie the mesh together? Is that safe for them? They won’t try to eat it right? I assumed thy wouldn’t since they don’t try to eat their plastic plants and stuff, but I wanted to make sure. I won’t use tape if they don’t mind it being wobbly. I am dying to catch them climbing it! Lol

There’s always zipties too; combine zipties with a stick or something? Idk what you have on hand but maybe that’ll help them stay together longer than any rubber bands may too. Unsure but they might loooove to pick at rubber. Sounds like a fun crabby party game, anyway. ImageImage

Topic author
Nessiandnoah

Post by Nessiandnoah » Wed May 20, 2020 10:04 pm

I didn’t think of zip ties although I don’t have any. I def got to fix what I’ve got now so I will work on that :) thank y’all for the advice!