How Do I Attach Plastic Mesh to Crabitat Walls?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
mscrabby

How Do I Attach Plastic Mesh to Crabitat Walls?

Post by mscrabby » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:04 pm

Hi there!

I am new here on the forums, but not new to caring for hermit crabs :)

However, this will be my first time using plastic mesh as climbing surfaces. I am getting a new cage upgrade and it will be way taller than before and I want to utilize this extra space for my crabbies.

I have seen other people use plastic mesh/plastic canvas as ramps, bridges, and climbing backgrounds, so I know that this is doable.

How can I secure plastic mesh sheet(s) to walls of my crabitat?
4 crabbies: Cora, Turbo, Hermione, & Leonardo da Pinchi

Hermielover121

Re: How Do I Attach Plastic Mesh to Crabitat Walls?

Post by Hermielover121 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:31 pm

I used to use bamboo sticks to hold it up and it worked great (not my idea, I got it from motorcrab). Now I can’t use them because I upgraded there tank to a custom 70 gallon so I can’t use them since my tank is to deep. Now I use a different way I made up. So I have a glass lid on my tank but it is cut into 3 sections so the 2 on the outside are permanently sealed with silicone. What I did was before I put down the silicone I put Bobby pins all around the outside of the tank and siliconed them in, so basically I have little hooks all around the tank to hang any decorations or mesh. I know that it probably won’t work for most people since they don’t have a glass lid that hasn’t been siliconed down, so if it fits then I would just go with the bamboo sticks ( you can get them if amazon or some pet stores ). Hope this helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
mscrabby

Post by mscrabby » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:32 am

Hermielover121 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:31 pm
I used to use bamboo sticks to hold it up and it worked great (not my idea, I got it from motorcrab). Now I can’t use them because I upgraded there tank to a custom 70 gallon so I can’t use them since my tank is to deep. Now I use a different way I made up. So I have a glass lid on my tank but it is cut into 3 sections so the 2 on the outside are permanently sealed with silicone. What I did was before I put down the silicone I put Bobby pins all around the outside of the tank and siliconed them in, so basically I have little hooks all around the tank to hang any decorations or mesh. I know that it probably won’t work for most people since they don’t have a glass lid that hasn’t been siliconed down, so if it fits then I would just go with the bamboo sticks ( you can get them if amazon or some pet stores ). Hope this helped

Thank you for the reply! Yeah my new tank will have a solid glass lid so I can’t do it the way you did haha.

My new tank is 18inches so I’ve looked at the bamboo tension rod idea, but I don’t know how to make the spacer that motorcrab did, lol.
4 crabbies: Cora, Turbo, Hermione, & Leonardo da Pinchi

Hermielover121

Post by Hermielover121 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:56 am

18 inches deep? It matters what your depth is to be able to fit the bamboo rod here’s a photo from my old tankImage
This was in my 2.5 gallon topper tank but you were just put it on the regular level

Hermies Conrad

Post by Hermies Conrad » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:00 pm

I’m new to the forum but not crabbing, same as you! I have been getting a lot of ideas like this from reading here so I recently hung some plastic mesh landscape fencing on the back wall of my existing 29 g. Next time I upgrade I would like to try egg crate like so many crabbers here use and start right from the beginning with a sturdy and versatile wall for climbing and attaching decor. This time I just dug a little sub away and attached the fencing with some command hooks in the top corners and it’s holding up well and I think it works.

Crabbymomma71

Post by Crabbymomma71 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:22 am

Great ideas! I would love to see pics for inspiration!

Hermies Conrad

Post by Hermies Conrad » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:57 pm

Here is my 29 g with 2 PPs. It’s a tight squeeze in there! Always wishing for a bigger tank but until then I just get creative! :lol:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13563608 ... 775258681/

Crabbymomma71

Post by Crabbymomma71 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:37 am

Conrad, WOW! It’s great! And u must be a photographer, awesome pics!!

Hermies Conrad

Post by Hermies Conrad » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:17 pm

Aww thanks! I’m not a professional photog but I did get my bachelors in photography. All I do with that is just take cool/cute pics of my pets lol. I love seeing others’ crabitat pics.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:05 pm

I'd suggest using something rigid like eggcrate and then ziptieing mesh onto that. ^_^

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies