Inactive crab

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Sandybastion

Inactive crab

Post by Sandybastion » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:14 am

I have two Purple Pincers crabs one is small and one is tiny . I have a 5 gallon tank for both of them My male hermit crab is very inactive and is always sung into its substrate. I have a salt water and clean water dish . I have a wooden hideout . I feed them crab food mixed with fruits and vegetables. There is one problem my temperature is a little cold but in the 70 -73 or 75 . The humidity is great. I can’t really get that many shells so I only have one big because of my parents so if anyone can donate some that would be great. My male crab also finished molting. But what am I doing wrong.

crabs_lex

Re: Inactive crab

Post by crabs_lex » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:23 am

If you want you can use the template in the emergency section as it provides you with a few questions just so we have a good understanding of your tank and can figure out a reason as to why he is inactive
But one thing may be the temperature because the temp for a PP should be at least 75; I keep mine at 80
But lower temps can definitely cause crabs to to inactive
Do you mean commercial crab food like from the pet store? Many crabbers give their crabs an all natural diet because many commercial food have preservatives, but I would recommend looking at the food guide on here because a good and varied diet is key to a healthy crab
Also, do you treat your water? and what salt mix do you use for the salt water?
And yes definitely more shells. It might be a good idea to put an add out on the Buy Shell Trade topic and let everyone know you are ISO small and teeny shells for your crabs

PinkyNTwinkie33

Post by PinkyNTwinkie33 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:30 am

Sandybastion wrote:I have two Purple Pincers crabs one is small and one is tiny . I have a 5 gallon tank for both of them My male hermit crab is very inactive and is always sung into its substrate. I have a salt water and clean water dish . I have a wooden hideout . I feed them crab food mixed with fruits and vegetables. There is one problem my temperature is a little cold but in the 70 -73 or 75 . The humidity is great. I can’t really get that many shells so I only have one big because of my parents so if anyone can donate some that would be great. My male crab also finished molting. But what am I doing wrong.
How big are your crab’s shell openings now? You can use measuring tape. I may have some shells to suit your needs if you can tell me what size you need!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 PPs -
2 Large: Pinky and Blue
3 Medium/Large: Speedy, Cupid and Tiny
1 Teeny: Totz

1 Cat: Twinkie
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Topic author
Sandybastion

Post by Sandybastion » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:04 pm

:crabbigsmile: the openings for the ones they already have On for the tiny crab is 1.5 cm and for the small crab opening is 2.5 cm. The one shell I have is 4 cm and it seems really big for any of them . Thank you so so much

PinkyNTwinkie33

Post by PinkyNTwinkie33 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:11 pm

:crabbigsmile:

I will check out what I may have and let you know!! Hopefully, I’ve got some that I held onto :)
6 PPs -

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Topic author
Sandybastion

Post by Sandybastion » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:25 pm

Thank you so much

Topic author
Sandybastion

Post by Sandybastion » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:15 am

:crabbigsmile: Have you gotten any news about your shells. I am so sorry for my impatience take your time . Thank you so much again.

MurkyCrabs

Post by MurkyCrabs » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:20 am

Check out Naples sea shell company if they aren’t able to, I use them for my crabs and they have tons of sizes including the small sizes I believe that would fit your crabs. Their sizes are just in inches so you would just need to do some conversions, but it looks like 1.5cm is about equivalent to their 1/2 inch - 3/4inch size :)

PinkyNTwinkie33

Post by PinkyNTwinkie33 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:06 pm

Sandybastion wrote::crabbigsmile: Have you gotten any news about your shells. I am so sorry for my impatience take your time . Thank you so much again.
I should have some news for you tomorrow!! I even went to the dollar store near me, so I have quite some shells to go through Image

6 PPs -

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Topic author
Sandybastion

Post by Sandybastion » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:06 am

Have you gotten any news on the crab shells

crabbiepattiecake

Post by crabbiepattiecake » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:20 am

Just some advice if you need it:
If you live near a Joann’s Fabrics, they have good turbo shells there in their bags of various natural shells! They’re affordable too if you use a coupon, which they almost always have.
Also, an easy place to find some healthy protein for them is the turtle/lizard isle in your local pet store. If they have any freeze-dried mealworms, crickets, shrimp, bloodworms, etc. it’s usually a good affordable option for your crabs. Pet stores usually also sell cuttlebones for parrots and turtles, which I like to break up into chunks and add to their food for calcium. They also like most organic fruits and vegetables cut up into small pieces, so you don’t really need to always buy special food for them. Good luck!

crabbiepattiecake

Post by crabbiepattiecake » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:23 am

Also at the pet store they should sell Prime Water Conditioner as well as pure aquarium salt, which I personally use for their freshwater/saltwater dishes. Table salt is bad for them because of it’s additives, and tap water is bad for them because it contains chlorine and heavy metals.

PinkyNTwinkie33

Post by PinkyNTwinkie33 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:18 pm

Sandybastion wrote:Have you gotten any news on the crab shells
I didn’t have any luck with turbos from the dollar store near me.

But I am still going through bins - I know I didn’t throw away the shells from when my crabs were smaller, but have not found the right bin they are bagged up in... but I have not given up hope!!

Also, I should have mentioned I was in an accident and require surgery before promising anything quickly, so I do apologize as I cannot really use one arm right now. Needless to say, it is taking me a bit longer to do things as you can see lol! Hubby has been bringing down bins and helping me look.

Are you open to different options of shell shapes besides the round turbo shells? It’s rare a purple pincher will choose another shell shape, but variety will not hurt!

6 PPs -

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜

Topic author
Sandybastion

Post by Sandybastion » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:07 pm

I am open to anything and am truly grateful for your help , but make sure to care for yourself first and take your time . Thank you

Topic author
Sandybastion

Post by Sandybastion » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:31 am

:hlol: it been a couple of days and I was just wondering if you had any news