Is he still molting???

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Tpwk.kate

Is he still molting???

Post by Tpwk.kate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:55 am

Hii so I’m really worried because my hermit crab leeroy has been buried for 3 weeks straight and I had a waterbottle isolation thing for him in the tank because I just got a new crab but leeroy surfaced today like just now and he doesn’t look like he molted so now I don’t know what he was doing but this is literally the first time I’ve seen him in 3 weeks

Serendipity

Re: Is he still molting???

Post by Serendipity » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:09 am

How large is he?
My three purple pinchers: Coconut- Male, medium. Mango- Female, medium. Blueberry- Female, small.

I'm not lazy- I'm just highly motivated to do nothing. ;)

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:25 am

So I learned that the majority of their time spent in the molting process is underground looking for the right spot. He could have been down there scoping out some spots and came back up (maybe for food/water) for a break. Wouldn’t be surprised if he goes under again soon...to seek out his little molting spot! Depending on their size, crabs can be under for weeks to months! There’s the possibility too that he’s coming up at night and you’re not seeing him. Does he have food/water in his isolation area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Tpwk.kate

Post by Tpwk.kate » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:28 am

When I got him from the store the lady said he was still a little guy and he hasn’t molted since, his shell is like 1 inch also I was googling stuff about molting and I read they don’t eat during that time because they store it all in a sack but I’ll start putting food in his isolation area

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:53 pm

Then he’ll have the opportunity to add more to his sac if he wants! And you’re sure he didn’t molt? I had one crab where it was pretty hard to tell...really I still just assume he molted, but I’m not sure. Lol

Topic author
Tpwk.kate

Post by Tpwk.kate » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:52 am

He was only under ground for almost 3 weeks and he isn’t showing any signs that he molted like being more vibrant in color or having the sharp black things at the end out his claws so I don’t think he molted

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:50 am

From my understanding a small crab could definitely molt within 3 weeks, but if you’re not seeing the signs you would know better than me, lol! Was just thinking of different options to consider. The good news is that even if he didn’t molt, it’s still not unusual for them to spend so much time underground, some crabs just love to dig! Mine dig down during the day and are active at night when I’m asleep...so I bought a night vision camera and I watch their videos every morning while I have my coffee. It’s better than never seeing them at all...unless I’m up late, haha.

If you’re interested, I bought a Wyze Cam for $25 and it does the trick! There are better options I’m sure, but this one was priced right and it works well enough for what I want!

Topic author
Tpwk.kate

Post by Tpwk.kate » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:40 pm

Ok thank you sm! And I’ll definitely look into one of those cameras😃