Good light for hermit crab?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
adef99

Good light for hermit crab?

Post by adef99 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:09 pm

Hi, new to hermit crabs! Would this light be good for them? I really can't tell

https://www.amazon.ca/Reptile-Habitat-F ... 453&sr=8-1

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Good light for hermit crab?

Post by JoeHermits » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:48 pm

That works. Lighting choice isn’t super important so long as they get a regular day/night cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crabbycasey

Post by crabbycasey » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:55 am

Are you using it for lighting only...or as a heat source as well? I only ask bc I found that the heating lamps (I used to use a daytime and nighttime bulb) zapped my humidity, plus they got super hot to the touch. I ended up going with a couple uths (under tank heaters) instead...they are actually placed on the back and/or sides of tank though (not like the name suggests), above the substrate line. I then just got a LED light strip fixture for their day/night cycle. It doesn’t get hot and sits right on my glass lid...and it has different settings, including moonlight so I can watch them when they’re out and about at night! This is just what worked for me so I thought I’d share!

Topic author
adef99

Post by adef99 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:11 am

I was just going to use for a light and get a separate heating device as well! Thank you for sharing! Question: Can hermit crabs have led or UVA/UVB lights?

MurkyCrabs

Post by MurkyCrabs » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:32 pm

They can have both! Personally I use UVB because my tanks aren’t in an area with a lot of light, but I know a lot of crabbers that use LED :)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:42 pm

UVB doesn't penetrate through glass or plastic, and screening filters out a lot. They can be used for crabs with creative modifications, but if they aren't used properly they have no benefit and are a waste of money.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:03 pm

I have a myriad of lighting for mine. First an LED light strip for day and it turns to blue for night time. Then I have a small UVB bulb that runs during the day. Then I have a 100W clamp lamp heat bulb for the day during the colder months. Finally, I have a second clamp lamp for night which uses a 75W moonglo bulb in the warmer months and I switch it out to a 100W red heat bulb in the cooler months.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:02 pm

HermitofHermitCrabs wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:03 pm
I have a myriad of lighting for mine. First an LED light strip for day and it turns to blue for night time. Then I have a small UVB bulb that runs during the day. Then I have a 100W clamp lamp heat bulb for the day during the colder months. Finally, I have a second clamp lamp for night which uses a 75W moonglo bulb in the warmer months and I switch it out to a 100W red heat bulb in the cooler months.
Even though it appears not to disturb them, I'd be wary about using red lamps at night (and to a degree, the moonglo) as they can see within that colour spectrum. Lighting at night is very disruptive for proper hormone production and can lead to a variety of behavioural issues in animals (which includes humans) so worth considering replacing those styles of lamps with other forms of heat like additional UTHs or a CHE.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:09 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:02 pm
Even though it appears not to disturb them, I'd be wary about using red lamps at night (and to a degree, the moonglo) as they can see within that colour spectrum. Lighting at night is very disruptive for proper hormone production and can lead to a variety of behavioural issues in animals (which includes humans) so worth considering replacing those styles of lamps with other forms of heat like additional UTHs or a CHE.
Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree on this one since I have had zero deaths that were my fault in years of doing this. I have a large tank and the lights are only on a small corner for the very cold nights. I actually don't even run them during the warmer months.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.