New crab mom!!

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
LindaLou

New crab mom!!

Post by LindaLou » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:58 pm

Hey I just got my first couple of crab babies. My 4yr old and I love them, but I got a few questions! I've created my crabitat by watching YouTube videos, gotta say I think it looks great and the babies seem to love it. On to my questions. Is their water supposed to be warm? What is the best thing to feed them after coming from a pet shop? Is their a way to determine how old they are? And if u live far from a beach where is the best place to get shells? Last one, is it ok to feed them TetraMin Tropical Flakes for fish?? The pet store told me it was ok!
Proud Mommy of Xavier, Jake and Sadie Mae (dogs), Toro, Bumpy, Biggin', and Lil' Blue (Purple Pinchers)

crabs_lex

Re: New crab mom!!

Post by crabs_lex » Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:59 pm

LindaLou wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:58 pm
Hey I just got my first couple of crab babies. My 4yr old and I love them, but I got a few questions! I've created my crabitat by watching YouTube videos, gotta say I think it looks great and the babies seem to love it. On to my questions. Is their water supposed to be warm? What is the best thing to feed them after coming from a pet shop? Is their a way to determine how old they are? And if u live far from a beach where is the best place to get shells? Last one, is it ok to feed them TetraMin Tropical Flakes for fish?? The pet store told me it was ok!
1. as long as your tank temperature is in normal range you shouldn’t worry about water temperature
2. just switch them over to a normal diet; please have a look at the food guide on this website if you haven’t already. it gives plenty of information on all a crabs food needs
3. i think by their size you are able to guess an approximate age for your crabs
4. there is a list of shops here on the website that list shops online to by shells for your crabs, so online is where everyone gets their shells and many shops are on the site/app etsy
5. unfortunately pet stores aren’t going to give you the best information regarding hermit crabs; i’m going to say they probably aren’t safe but i don’t know the ingredients. if there is fish meal and other common preservatives it’s not the best

Topic author
LindaLou

Post by LindaLou » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:36 am

Thank you!
Proud Mommy of Xavier, Jake and Sadie Mae (dogs), Toro, Bumpy, Biggin', and Lil' Blue (Purple Pinchers)

Pumpkincrab

Post by Pumpkincrab » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:25 am

I'd like to chime in on the food!
A lot of crabbers here have different opinions on diet. Some make their own mixes, or feed foods that they grew themselves.
Personally, I get my food all from Etsy. This is not needed, you don't need to, but I prefer it.
I have over 20 mixes I feed them, some from my shop and others from Hermitgrub and TinyTownCrabs, but monthly I try to purchase from a new shop just to mix it up, hehe.
The main thing to remember with crabs is that they need in a daily diet proteins, fruits, veggies, grains, calcium and leaf litter (optional).
So, for example, a few nights ago I put out worm castings, krill, millet, peanut butter powder, then mixes from TinyTownCrabs (Broccoli Cricket, Holiday Feast, ect)
Then maybe other nights I feed my own mixes, Hermitgrub's, the list goes on.
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:00 pm

Welcome to the HCA! There are a lot of different ways to care for crabs properly. Over time people tweak their practices bases on what works for them.

With being new I highly recommend reading through our care guides. When we first started out with keeping crabs the guides were by far the most valuable resource we have found for learning. Those guides are located at this link.
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... .php?f=120

You don't need to read everyone, you will get overwhelmed very quickly if you do! I would start off with these then branch off from there:
Basic Care for all Species
Commercial (store bought) Foods
Safe and Unpopular Food Lists
Hermit Crab Nutrition By Kilimanjaro
Post Purchase Syndrome, or Why is My New Crab Sick

Those guides will definitely help you get the basics down and give you a basic understanding of hermits and what they need! If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Here is a link to a bunch of links to supplies, foods, shells and other hermit crab related items. These links are listed as a convenience and the HCA does not approve or disapprove of any of the links provided! http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 2&t=119315
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
LindaLou

Post by LindaLou » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:22 pm

Ok thank u both so much! Ok can I use aquarium salt to make their salt water pool? And regular bottled water for the fresh?

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:17 pm

Aquarium salt is different and will not work for hermits. The most common salt to use is Instant Ocean. It can be purchased in various sizes. You can order the standard Instant Ocean or the Reef Crystal mix either is safe and have all the required minerals and trace elements for hermits. A small box will be enough to mix 10 gallons of water. It's easiest to pre mix 1/2 cup to a gallon and use as needed. With a few crabs you will only mix a gallon every few weeks depending on the size of your pools.
https://www.chewy.com/instant-ocean-sea ... /dp/128289

Using plain treated tapwater is safe as well. Seachems Prime is the most commonly used water treatment. A small bottle will expire before you use all of it!
https://www.petco.com/shop/SearchDispla ... Term=Prime

You will find after reading the forums that a lot of items that pet stores recommend for hermits are actually not good for them.

Here he a link to a better more detailed explanation of water care!
http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 27&t=92553

Topic author
LindaLou

Post by LindaLou » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:29 am

The temp in my tank stays around 80° but the humidity has jumped up to 89%. Is that ok or how do I regulate the humidity especially while I'm at work??

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:44 am

Higher humidity is not a problem for the crabs. Mine routinely runs over 90%. Food and other items can mold faster with higher humidity, but you can just remove the mold, it isn't harmful to the crabs. But your humidity is perfect at 89%!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
LindaLou

Post by LindaLou » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:54 am

Ok thank you so much

Topic author
LindaLou

Post by LindaLou » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:08 pm

Are they nocturnal? Bc the only time I see them move is at 4 am when I get up for work!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:36 pm

They mainly come out at night. Some are like clockwork and venture out at almost the exact same time each night. Others will come out during the day but may be extremely cautious and hide if it sees any movement.

Since hermits live near the equator it is important to give them a 12 hour day/night schedule. A lot of us buy light timers to set them automatically. The 12/12 time is also important to their molting as well.

Topic author
LindaLou

Post by LindaLou » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:51 pm

Ok so should I leave their light on at night and off in the day??

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:13 pm

Light on during the day, off at night. Crabs need the dark of night.

Topic author
LindaLou

Post by LindaLou » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:13 am

Ok thanks bunches