Hermit crab died, not sure what happened but I need to find out so I can save my other one.

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Mbailey

Hermit crab died, not sure what happened but I need to find out so I can save my other one.

Post by Mbailey » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:42 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Wood chips I bought from the pet store, I was told by the employee there that was best. It’s about 1.5 inches deep.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I do not

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
No

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Just regular tap water

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Pellet food from the pet store every 3 days

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
I’ve had it for 5 months, my second hermit I’ve had for around 1 month

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
I know he molted around 2 months ago but other than that I haven’t noticed

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
It’s a big reptile tank with a wire tank on top. I would say it’s at least 10 gallons

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2. The one that just died is medium sized and the other is very large.

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
2, but I don’t think they are the right size.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I replaced the substrate and completely cleaned the tank about 3 weeks ago

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
No

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
A new rock cave

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
My boyfriend didn’t mean to do anything harmful, he just didn’t know that this is bad for them and could spread parasites. But, about 3 weeks ago he put some geckos with them in the aquarium that he had caught in the wild. They were only there for a short time and I completely cleaned the tank afterwards, while I was doing that I also found some mold, which was also concerning.

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

My hermit crab was inactive for the last several days and hadn’t moved much but didn’t bury itself so I didn’t think he was molting. My boyfriend was worried, so he picked him up and tried to see if the hermit would respond at all to being touched, and he/she (not sure of the gender) did not. We decided to just see what happened because this could still be molting, but in the morning the hermit was completely out of its shell, very pale, and looked as if it had been crushed or torn apart. After reading through this forum I realized there could be several reasons for the death. I don’t think I was providing enough humidity or substrate, and I had only been feeding the pellet food which I now realize isn’t a healthy option. I had also been giving them tap water and not providing any salt water, or a heat lamp. Lots of mistakes on my part. But I’m wondering if it was just molting and my boyfriend interfering is what caused the death, or was it something else? And why did it look like that when he died? Why was he out of his shell and why did he look like he had been pulled apart? Did my other hermit crab do this? Thanks.

user123456

Re: Hermit crab died, not sure what happened but I need to find out so I can save my other one.

Post by user123456 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:27 pm

OK IM GONNA PUT SUGGESTIONS UNDER WHAT UR DOING WRONG IN CAPS

Wood chips I bought from the pet store, I was told by the employee there that was best. It’s about 1.5 inches deep.
YOU NEED COCO FIBER/SAND THAT'S AT LEAST 6 IN DEEP

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located, and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I do not
THEY WILL SUFFACATE WITHOUT THE RIGHT HUMIDITY (80%)AND THE TEMPERATURE HAS TO BE 70-80 DEGREES FERINHEIT

No
YOU NEED TO HAVE A HEAT SOURCE they are tropical so they need heat

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Just regular tap water
YOU NEED DECLORINATED WATER, FRESHWATER, AND SALTWATER (YOU HAVE TO GET MARINE SALT LIKE INSTANT OCEAN TO MAKE IT) AND THE DISHES HAE TO BE DEEP ENOUGH TO SUBMERGE THE CRABS

IT WILL GET MOLDY IF YOU DO THAT SO YOU SHOULD CHANGE IT EVERY DAY JUST GIVE THEM WHAT THEY EAT SO U DON'T WASTE IT AND U SHOUULD GIVE THEM NATURAL FOOD, AND PROVIDE PROTEIN AND CALCIUM

WHAT SPECIES?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
It’s a big reptile tank with a wire tank on top. I would say it’s at least 10 gallons
IF THEY ARE BIG YOU SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST A 20 GAL LONG TANK. THE LID SHOULD BE WRAPPED IN SOMETHING LIKE PLASTIC WRAP TO KEEP HUMIDITY IN

2. The one that just died is medium-sized and the other is very large.
HOW MANY INCHES IS THEIR LEG SPAN?

GET SOME OFF OF ETSY, MOST CRABS LIKE TURBO SHELLS, GET THEM NATURAL NOT PAINTED

No

No

A new rock cave

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
My boyfriend didn’t mean to do anything harmful, he just didn’t know that this is bad for them and could spread parasites. But, about 3 weeks ago he put some geckos with them in the aquarium that he had caught in the wild. They were only there for a short time and I completely cleaned the tank afterward, while I was doing that I also found some mold, which was also concerning.
I DONT THINK THE GECKOS HAD ANY BAD STUFF ON THEM BUT BE CAREFUL OF MOLD

My hermit crab was inactive for the last several days and hadn’t moved much but didn’t bury itself so I didn’t think he was molting. My boyfriend was worried, so he picked him up and tried to see if the hermit would respond at all to being touched, and he/she (not sure of the gender) did not. We decided to just see what happened because this could still be molting, but in the morning the hermit was completely out of its shell, very pale, and looked as if it had been crushed or torn apart. After reading through this forum I realized there could be several reasons for the death. I don’t think I was providing enough humidity or substrate, and I had only been feeding the pellet food which I now realize isn’t a healthy option. I had also been giving them tap water and not providing any saltwater, or a heat lamp. Lots of mistakes on my part. But I’m wondering if it was just molting and my boyfriend interfering is what caused the death, or was it something else? And why did it look like that when he died? Why was he out of his shell and why did he look like he had been pulled apart? Did my other hermit crab do this? Thanks.

THE OTHER CRAB MIGHT HAVE ATTACKED IT. IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN DOING A SURFACE MOLT (NOT GOOD FOR IT). DID U SEE IT STREAKING BEFORE U FOUND IT DEAD? U SHOULD DEF AD MORE SHELLS. UR OTHER CRAB MIGHT HAVE FOUGHT IT FOR THE SHELL IT HAD. ONCE YOU FIX THE TANK GET ANOTHER ONE SO UR CRAB WON'T BE LONELY BUT ONLY AFTER THE CONDITIONS R GOOD
I might have gotten stuff wrong I'm new to crabs but I think I got the advice right
bowls are for food, not fish

Topic author
Mbailey

Re: Hermit crab died, not sure what happened but I need to find out so I can save my other one.

Post by Mbailey » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:32 pm

UPDATE!! I think that my hermit crab had actually just molted and is still alive in the shell. Which is why I thought something looked wrong like he was all torn up or something. It was just the exoskeleton. I feel very dumb for this now haha. In response to your questions, I have no idea of the species, or gender. They didn't say when I purchased. My smaller hermit crabs leg span is about an inch I would guess. The bigger one is around 2 1/2 inches. It did do a surface molt, is there anything I need to do about that since it's not good for them? And by streaking do you just mean if I ever saw it out of it's shell? I haven't seen that. Thank you so much for the advice!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:10 pm

Curly - Unfortunately, many pet stores don't know much about proper crab care. Crabs need to be able to dig down underneath the ground, and their substrate needs to hold shape so that the tunnels and caves don't collapse. Wood chips won't let them do that. You can use play sand, or coco fiber (aka - eco earth) or a mixture of the two. Many people use a mix of the two, as it is easier to maintain. It should be moistened with dechlorinated water, so that it is the consistency to make sand castles (ie- holds shape but not so wet that water pools in the bottom of the tank.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
I do not
Curly - This is one item that is a must have. A thermometer/ hygrometer combo so that you know the temp and humidity in the tank. Crabs need temps around 80F, and humidity around 80%. They have modified gills, and need toe humidity to be able to breathe.

No
Curly - Once you have your thermometer, you will know if you need a heater (most of us do).

Just regular tap water
Curly - Tap water is safe to use, once it has been treated with a dechlorinator. Prime is a commonly used brand. Crabs also need salt water - use the dechlorinated tap water, then add a marine salt. Instant Ocean is a commonly used brand.

Curly - Pellet food contains preservatives that are not considered safe long term. Crabs need a varied diet, that includes calcium and protein daily. There is a 'nutrition' care sheet that explains it all. Crabs can eat much of what we eat, too!

Curly - A wire mesh lid won't hold in the humidity, you will need a lid of some sort. Plastic wrap can be put over the top to hold in humidity, if you don't have a lid. Again, once you have the hygrometer, you will know how much of your lid need to be covered.

2. The one that just died is medium sized and the other is very large.

Curly - HCA recommends 3 to 5 extra shells per crab. There is a care sheet that explains the correct types to buy.

No

Curly - Once you have proper substrate (playsand and/or coco fiber) you won't need to change it out unless you have an emergency like a flood or bacterial bloom.

No

A new rock cave

My boyfriend didn’t mean to do anything harmful, he just didn’t know that this is bad for them and could spread parasites. But, about 3 weeks ago he put some geckos with them in the aquarium that he had caught in the wild. They were only there for a short time and I completely cleaned the tank afterwards, while I was doing that I also found some mold, which was also concerning.

My hermit crab was inactive for the last several days and hadn’t moved much but didn’t bury itself so I didn’t think he was molting. My boyfriend was worried, so he picked him up and tried to see if the hermit would respond at all to being touched, and he/she (not sure of the gender) did not. We decided to just see what happened because this could still be molting, but in the morning the hermit was completely out of its shell, very pale, and looked as if it had been crushed or torn apart. After reading through this forum I realized there could be several reasons for the death. I don’t think I was providing enough humidity or substrate, and I had only been feeding the pellet food which I now realize isn’t a healthy option. I had also been giving them tap water and not providing any salt water, or a heat lamp. Lots of mistakes on my part. But I’m wondering if it was just molting and my boyfriend interfering is what caused the death, or was it something else? And why did it look like that when he died? Why was he out of his shell and why did he look like he had been pulled apart? Did my other hermit crab do this? Thanks.
Curly - If your crab surface molted, he will be vulnerable to your other crab - you will need to keep them separated. You can put him in a margarine container or similar, with holes in it. He will need to eat his exo skeleton.
You are correct that they usually bury to molt - but with wood chips, they would not be able to.
You have a few things that need to be improved, for long term health of your crabs. If you haven't already checked out the 'basics' care sheet, that's a good place to start.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Jcn2121

Post by Jcn2121 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:56 pm

Hi, are you sure that wasn't just it's exoskeleton that looked mangled?
SORRY I'M NEW TO THIS. I GUESS THIS WAS AN OLDER POST AND WAS ALSO UPDATED. GLAD CRAB IS OK.