Hermit crab death

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Hermit crab lover 37

Hermit crab death

Post by Hermit crab lover 37 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:39 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
One of my hermit crabs burrowed down moths ago and i hadn't been wanting to disturb him least I accidentally kill him. Well finally today I dug him up to discover he was very dead. My problem is that my other crab is alone, but in his 8 years of existence he's never met another crab, and hates people( don't blame me blame his last owners) and I'm unsure if I should get him a friend, or leave him be or what.

user123456

Re: Hermit crab death

Post by user123456 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:29 pm

Hermit crab lover 37 wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:39 pm
Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
One of my hermit crabs burrowed down moths ago and i hadn't been wanting to disturb him least I accidentally kill him. Well finally today I dug him up to discover he was very dead. My problem is that my other crab is alone, but in his 8 years of existence he's never met another crab, and hates people( don't blame me blame his last owners) and I'm unsure if I should get him a friend, or leave him be or what.

ok so to make it easier to know why it died, can you fill out the conditions? if you get a new one, you need to know if the tank is safe or if you are feeding not enough or if there is a bacteria bloom
bowls are for food, not fish

Topic author
Hermit crab lover 37

Post by Hermit crab lover 37 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:32 pm

Substrate is roughly 6 inches of sand. Humidity around 90% Temps around 80-85. No new chemicals or major changes recently. Just cleaning the surface of the substrate as not to disturb the crab. Roughly 1-2 dozen shells. There are no sponges. There is one crab remaining in a 50 gallon tank. He melted roughly 4 and 8 months ago. There are 2 fresh water bowls and one salt. There is a single heat pad at the rear left on the outside.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:57 pm

Whether you get another crab or not is really your personal preference. Crabs can live very happy and healthy lives alone. But if you want to get another, and have room in your tank, I would recommend giving everyone a quick dip in the fresh water when you introduce them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers