streaking and i cant find shell help!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
user123456

streaking and i cant find shell help!

Post by user123456 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:54 am

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
5:1 ratio sand to coco fiber, 6-9 inches

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located, and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
73-78 ferenheit and usually around 80% humidity, on the back wall

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
uth on back wall

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
fresh and saltwater dechlorinated, instant ocean for salt water

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
I give them egg shells, fruits and sometimes veggies, and shrimp

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
4 months, 3 pps

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
one molted a month ago

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
20 gal long, mess lid wrapped in plastic wrap

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2.5 in, 2 in, 1 in

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I clean the water every week, the glass when it gets dirty, and had to change the dirt 2 months ago

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
a net

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
the big ones are in a tub with a b=net to lay right now so they don't hurt him

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
my smallest crab, Lil shawty, is naked. he is either an Ecuadorian or pp, so idk about if his color is usually this light. he looks like he just molted, and he's been missing for a couple of days. He's tan right now, and he's usually a light orange purple. I don't know where his shell is, and he doesn't want to go into another shell that I offered him. he prefers one of the really lightweight ones that I have, like the ones Ecuadorians wear. I looked for it but couldn't find it. I tried to put him in the shell but he went under the log. what should I do? and where should I put him? I've isoed in the tank before, but then the others try to get in it ( and succeed) I have a 10 gal, but I'm not sure it would hold humidity very well. could I put a towel over it so it's dark and would it keep the humidity in? should I try to force him in a shell?

bowls are for food, not fish

CrabbyLover77

Re: streaking and i cant find shell help!

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:14 am

Hi,

Follow this guide to get your hermie back in a shell asap, even if it's not the original:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=122302

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
user123456

Post by user123456 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:08 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:14 am
Hi,

Follow this guide to get your hermie back in a shell asap, even if it's not the original:

he died while I was at my class. I'm pretty sure he is at least. i feel so terrible. I'm trying to figure out how to upload a photo, cause it looks like there is a mite-looking thing on his leg and I don't want my other crabs to die. could it be my fault because I didn't wash some leaves before I put them in there because they were from an animal store? here's the link to the photo it should work ezgif-4-a4832c2adc.gif

Topic author
user123456

Post by user123456 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:15 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Hi,

here's another link if that doesn't work and how do I make sure he's dead? his mouth feeler thingies were all limp and like layed out

Topic author
user123456

Post by user123456 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:16 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Hi,

https://ibb.co/Rhxv9NX
https://ibb.co/vwkV36b
https://ibb.co/b1pV6JW

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:54 pm

I'm so sorry! If he is not reactive at all to touch and is limp, he likely has passed. That little thing on him looks like a molt sac to me, which hermits get before they molt. So it was nothing that you introduced into the tank.

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-

Topic author
user123456

Post by user123456 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:06 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:54 pm
I'm so sorry! Image If he is not reactive at all to touch and is limp, he likely has passed. That little thing on him looks like a molt sac to me, which hermits get before they molt. So it was nothing that you introduced into the tank.

is there anythingwrong with the tank that you noticed? or anything wrong with him that could explain why he's dead?

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:27 pm

user123456 wrote: is there anythingwrong with the tank that you noticed? or anything wrong with him that could explain why he's dead?
I don't see anything wrong with your tank conditions, so I don't think it's anything you could have prevented. I had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. Tank conditions were good, lots of variety in food, lots of protein and calcium, but my girl went streaking. I was able to re-shell her, but she still died shortly after. I still have no idea what caused her to pass. Sometimes they just go through too much before we get them and never recover.