in and out of shell

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
trinr25

in and out of shell

Post by trinr25 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:54 am

hey!! this morning my hermie jumped out of her shell, she just molted but she went back into her original shell after about an hour. is she ok? what does this mean?Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlmills525

Re: in and out of shell

Post by Jlmills525 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:05 am

If she is still out of her shell, you need to reshell her immediately: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=122302

As far as what it means... it would be good to know your tank conditions..I saw you also posted the emergency template but hadn't actually updated it.. if you could do that it would help us answer better.

Do you have plenty of other shells for her to pick from? that shell is a D opening and PPs usually prefer round openings
Wife, Mom, WoW player since Vanilla - Alliance Main
3 PPS - Eugene, Sheldon, Bortus
1 dog - Maggie
1 cat - Weston

Topic author
trinr25

Post by trinr25 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:16 am

i didn’t mean to post that emergency form. she is back in her she’ll now. that’s the shell she came in and i have LOTS of other options for her but she still went back into the same one!

hermitcrablover2
Location: Why do you want to know?... Ok fine SOMEWHERE in California.

Post by hermitcrablover2 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:49 pm

Was she in a shell at the time that you took the first picture? If she was the first picture of the naked orangey color hermie could be her exoskeleton, she looks pale in the second picture because she just molted
2 PP's (Boba and Blue), 1 Dog (Coco)

"Eateth. Thy. WORDS." - Donatello, ROTTMNT

Topic author
trinr25

Post by trinr25 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:54 pm

the first picture of her looking orange and naked is her after molting. the picture of her in the shell is her going back into her shell after being naked.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:45 pm

A crab will drop their shell when they are too weak to carry it. That shell looks very heavy and big for her. Do you have some lighter, smaller ones? What types of shells are in the tank?
You could also try giving her some high energy foods, if she's a bit weak from the molt. Peanut butter, honey are good options.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:35 am

Is this the crab that did the surface molt? Is she in a hospital tank?

Topic author
trinr25

Post by trinr25 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:44 pm

sorry for taking so long to reply, i’ve had lots of school, and then i’ve been shopping for my hermies. she is in a small isolation tank now, she’s been in and out of a new shell and the old one. the shell she’s in currently is small. Image
Imagealso, i’ve added more substrate as you said so they don’t feel the need to surface molt again.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:55 am

Looks good! Just make sure the sand is moistened to "sand castle" consistency so that it holds its shape :)

Topic author
trinr25

Post by trinr25 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:40 pm

it was in the rain when i got it so it’s all good! my other crab started molting today!!