Another crab part

This forum is where you discuss issues relating to molting hermit crabs, including pre- and post-molting issues. If you are having a molting emergency please post in the Emergency Forum.

Topic author
Kinah19

Another crab part

Post by Kinah19 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:07 am

I recently posted something asking if my crab was molting because I found a hollow piece of crab leg on the surface of my sand. Today when I went to put food in my tank I found a crab claw. What is happening?? It’s scaring me because I’m not sure if mr krabs is dead or molting. My other crab venom just came up so I’m not sure how long the claw has been there. Venom didn’t come up where the claw was found. I’m scared to pick it out because I’m terrified what’s on the other end of it.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Another crab part

Post by wodesorel » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:26 am

It doesn't look like anything is on the other end, thankfully. If you're finding pieces of the hardest parts of the exo - leg tips, end of claws - those are molting leftovers. Many crabs will leave odds and ends behind and it can be startling but normal. Dead crabs tend to be full intact limbs instead, as tankmates will go after the most tender bits and/or limbs get dropped before dying.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram