New Crabitat Build - 75 Gallon and Toppers

This is a forum dedicated to Hermit Crab Association members posting pictures of their crabs and crabitats.

Topic author
CleverCrabCallsign

New Crabitat Build - 75 Gallon and Toppers

Post by CleverCrabCallsign » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:19 pm

I've been plugging away at a new crabitat for the last several weeks. Going to be upgrading my guys from a 20 gallon long with 12x12x18 topper to a 75 gallon with two 18x24x18 toppers side by side up top. Here's the current enclosure.Image

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Topic author
CleverCrabCallsign

Re: New Crabitat Build - 75 Gallon and Toppers

Post by CleverCrabCallsign » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:28 pm

Building the stand has been the majority of my time, about 3 weeks. My woodworking experience consists of a semester of shop in junior high 30 years ago. Fortunately I have family I was able to borrow good tools from and YouTube was able to teach me how to use them without cutting off any body parts. This is the frame, fitting the back, and then done and stained. Not the prettiest thing but most of it won't be showing once it's in place and it is super sturdy. Got some sliding doors made for that long empty spot up front too.ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
CleverCrabCallsign

Post by CleverCrabCallsign » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:36 pm

With that done this past week has been spent on the more fun stuff. Got a basic layout planned and got to work. Here's the planned layout, main tank, toppers, and test fitting one on top. I have folks coming in about an hour to help me move the stand, tank, and forest side topper. I'll start running airlines, probes, pool filters, etc tomorrow before the final top goes on.ImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
CleverCrabCallsign

Post by CleverCrabCallsign » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:16 pm

And we're in! Image

I'll start running airlines and temp probes and such tomorrow and then cut a gap in the insulation foam on the 75 gallon for them before the final topper goes on.ImageImage

hermitsinnc

Post by hermitsinnc » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:22 pm

wow, that looks amazing!
3 PPs: Maxwell (small), Mitchelle (medium/small), Kendall (medium/large)
also have 10gal freshwater fishtank w/ neon tetras, pygmy cories, and nerite snails

"I am here, I am loved, God is good, and that's enough." --Brandon Heath

Topic author
CleverCrabCallsign

Post by CleverCrabCallsign » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:07 pm

Thanks! I got wiring and pool placement worked out today. Gonna pick up sand and get the last topper on tomorrow. Coco bricks are currently expanding in a tote in the garage. Here's the overall, saltwater, and freshwater side pics after today's work. The green craft mesh enveloped boxes are fans that will run at intervals during the day in hopes of reducing condensation. ImageImageImage

Topic author
CleverCrabCallsign

Post by CleverCrabCallsign » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:47 am

Getting real close now. Tank seems to be stabilizing nicely and as long as everything continues to hold temperature/humidity wise through tonight I'll start moving guys and some last bits of decor from the old tank with my regular Saturday water change, feeding, and sometimes clean.

Here's the last few days work.ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
CleverCrabCallsign

Post by CleverCrabCallsign » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:56 pm

Got all my guys moved over during the course of the day and evening yesterday. I thought I had one down molting but Mr. Turtle was just being the typical elusive Mr. Turtle and popped out after my normal bedtime, not knowing I was up late crab hunting. The first two I found sleeping together in a hide on the sand while cleaning in the afternoon and they went over real easy. Tucked in the shell like little golf balls the whole way. Darnell decided she needed to grab hold of me after I plucked her off the saucer in the evening. My first pinch and it was several minutes before she finally let go. Not fun but it wasn't horrible either. It did make me think twice about going after Mr. Turtle bare handed and I waited until he was on a piece of cholla on then just moved the whole thing. :lol:

Set up a couple time-lapses during the moving process. First is from my phone and ends when the battery died. Second is a Wyze cam and runs through the morning. They seem to like it well enough.

https://youtu.be/MbR5wQ4H2Jc

https://youtu.be/-V_96OyRIno

hermitcrablover2
Location: Why do you want to know?... Ok fine SOMEWHERE in California.

Post by hermitcrablover2 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:15 pm

Wow! This is so so cool!! I wish I had enough space to do something like that!
2 PP's (Boba and Blue), 1 Dog (Coco)

"Eateth. Thy. WORDS." - Donatello, ROTTMNT

Hermiecrab

Post by Hermiecrab » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:39 am

That is absolutely beautiful!!!
Leonardo Dapinci, Clawdia, Coconut. Rest in peace, Samwise!
Aussiedoodle puppy, Watson <3 Super sweet, and super cute!

Topic author
CleverCrabCallsign

Post by CleverCrabCallsign » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:31 pm

Thanks folks. A week and a half after moving they seem to be settling in nicely. I've done one partial and one full water change on both pools so far although it wasn't really necessary going by the testing kit. More about me figuring out how the logistics of doing the changes would work. I'm going to test again today with their dry food change but don't expect I'll be changing water again until at least this weekend now that I've got it figured out. After a few days I ended up ramping up the frequency of the fans running from half an hour out of every three to a full hour. Getting near zero condensation now even right by the window with attempts at snow but nothing sticking here the last few days.

The little guys had a couple of big discoveries last night. I caught my first crab going in for full submersion in the saltwater pool. And then after almost leaving deciding to go back in for a second dip. And I also got my first guy on the wheel exercising.

https://youtu.be/_MmD6BjRx6I