Pincer fell off

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Alyw77

Re: Pincer fell off

Post by Alyw77 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:05 am

I just checked…he’s not pale and he’s not falling out of his shell. He’s holding on in there.

Hermitcrab273

Post by Hermitcrab273 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:51 pm

you should hand feed him some honey for energy and anything you can crush into powder. make a cave from the eco earth. also i recommend getting a small bowl with the crushed stuff and fruits and put the honey on a q tip. if you want to make space for shells maybe remove the plants

Topic author
Alyw77

Post by Alyw77 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:42 pm

How do I hand feed him? I don’t want to hurt him. He’s in isolation with heat, humidity, peanut butter, honey, salt and fresh water, soil. I had to throw out the egg and strawberry. I picked him up to make a cave. He’s not falling out of his shell. There’s absolutely no smell. I just put shells in.

Topic author
Alyw77

Post by Alyw77 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:46 pm

Ok. I just tried to give him honey and his legs fell off. Not sure if it’s skeleton. They looked empty. Still something in the shell.

Hermitcrab273

Post by Hermitcrab273 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:25 pm

Alyw77 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:46 pm
Ok. I just tried to give him honey and his legs fell off. Not sure if it’s skeleton. They looked empty. Still something in the shell.
i’m sorry that’s happening. from what i have heard and seen, you should bury him into the tank and put something like a flower pot over him and wait a few weeks. check for a fishy smell as well.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:37 am

Hermitcrab273 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:25 pm
i’m sorry that’s happening. from what i have heard and seen, you should bury him into the tank and put something like a flower pot over him and wait a few weeks. check for a fishy smell as well.
No, never re-bury a crab. The OP already has the crab in isolation, which is exactly where he should be.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Alyw77

Post by Alyw77 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:45 am

Still no smell. No movement at all. I’m afraid to pick him up to look. What do I do? It’s been over a week I think?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:05 pm

Edit: Geez...I just realized how old your post is. I hope your crab made it. Hello. First of all. Please quit handling the crab. Crabs are prey animals, and handling them stresses them out. Also, taking them out of the tank removes them from the humidity that is needed for them to breathe. No pictures needed. If the crab has at least one pincher, it can eat on it's own. Leave the crab alone. Make sure heat and humidity are at least 80/80. Provide the crab with powdered calcium, a small amount of honey, and some powdered proteins (Preferably dried) Along with a little dechlorinated freshwater and dechlorinated marine saltwater. Cover the tank with a towel or blanket (so that it has privacy) and pray for the best.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com