Crab diet

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
otrimi_everplayful

Crab diet

Post by otrimi_everplayful » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:03 pm

Hi, what would be a good sample diet for a Ecuadorian crab.

Thx!
“The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.” -Captain Jack Sparrow

myllkti

Re: Crab diet

Post by myllkti » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:39 pm

One night you might feed banana, an orange slice, a strawberry, a flower mix from Etsy, dried mealworms/a bug mix, with spirulina and drizzled with honey

Based on "Diet: This species is known for being picky, and so may refuse to eat for several days at a time. Fruit and flowers are usually well accepted, as is honey. Finding proteins they like may be a challenge, but should always be offered as Es tend to go on protein binges when they are in the mood. Crickets and other insects (dried or freshly killed) are usually well received." from viewtopic.php?f=120&t=92454

However, seeing as you are in the states, it should also be noted it is very difficult to get exotics. The most easily found land hermit crab here is the Purple Pincher (Caribbean), which is not only the most abundantly rehomed but also is most bred! extra emphasis on the relativity of "most" as hardly any others are being bred in the US (lilas are newer and I think on a smaller scale? Either way, Mary Akers/Hermit Houseis requiring only those with experience adopt the captive bred lilas)
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Join the Hermit Crab Haven discord!: https://discord.gg/3SnvTczt7p

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:09 pm

otrimi_everplayful wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:03 pm
Hi, what would be a good sample diet for a Ecuadorian crab.

Thx!
Hi there! I feed all of my crabs the same, but TBH, I base them off of my Ecuadorians because they are my pickiest.

I do have a few questions for you, as I consider Es my "specialty". Are yours housed with other crabs or are they by themselves?
I have found that my Es prefer seafoods, fishes, etc over land proteins. PPs on the other hand are the opposite. My PPs prefer the land proteins. I also give my Es at least three different proteins a day, and I change their food DAILY. I also provide these guys with a lot of different calcium choices at all times. Other than that, follow the normal feeding guidelines! :)

Please let me know if you have any questions! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
otrimi_everplayful

Post by otrimi_everplayful » Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:40 pm

Thank you
“The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem.” -Captain Jack Sparrow

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:24 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:09 pm
Hi there! I feed all of my crabs the same, but TBH, I base them off of my Ecuadorians because they are my pickiest.

I do have a few questions for you, as I consider Es my "specialty". Are yours housed with other crabs or are they by themselves?
I have found that my Es prefer seafoods, fishes, etc over land proteins. PPs on the other hand are the opposite. My PPs prefer the land proteins. I also give my Es at least three different proteins a day, and I change their food DAILY. I also provide these guys with a lot of different calcium choices at all times. Other than that, follow the normal feeding guidelines! :)

Please let me know if you have any questions! :)
I am pretty sure this user doesn't have any crabs yet.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers