Hermit came out of shell, didn't chose a new one.

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
silver-crow17

Hermit came out of shell, didn't chose a new one.

Post by silver-crow17 » Fri May 12, 2023 2:11 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Coco fiber and play sand mixed. 3-4 inches at shallowest(has a hill in tank)

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, one of each side of tank. I know I'm having slightly problems with Keeping temp and humidity high enough. Temp ranges from 70-75. Humidity, 60-80. Ik the humidity is bad.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
having to temporarily use a overhead light because the 3 heating mates weren't cutting it. And it's still not. We put a blanket or thick cloth over top of tank to keep heat and humidity in. I don't remember brand for either of them. But it's three under tank heating pads on the side of the tank.and one over head heat lamp.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Both salt and water. Currently using zoomed salt water. Planning to switch to instant ocean when I can. House runs off of well water, we don't have anything to dechlorinate mainly because we don't have to.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Replaced everyday. Trying new foods since there new crabs. Rover shrimp, carrots, but they have a food block meant to be used for vacation. They have eaten off it.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
About 2-3 months. I believe they are a purple pincher.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Yes, molted a month to 1 week ago(don't fully remember)

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
50 or 30 gallon tank I believe. Metal mess top.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 crabs. All about the same size. Id say Maybe the size of a quarter?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Currently 11 shells (my mom kept finding more)

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I clean food every day, clean water dishes when low(every Three days currently due to over head heat light) I clean about once a week with a substrate scoop? Basically tiny cat litter scoop.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Yes... I don't know how to clean it.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Other then more shells, no.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
Currently having to use an overhead heat light to keep temp in a ok zone. They have been hiding in the moss den and in another hidey hole they have. I mist them down twice a day(still can't keep humidity up)

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
A crab came out of her shell and didn't go back in. She always had trouble moving around in her old shell(it was rather bulky and a bit awkward.) Today she came out, could have been anywhere from 3-1 hour ago. I did as suggested and rised her and her shell off. As well as potential new shells and set them in a dish with a shallow layer of water on the bottom. She kept trying to hide in crevices near the salt water dish. Would crawl through salt water, but wouldn't go back in any shell while in habit.

She went back into her old shell partly when I put a towel over the dish. I'm worried the old shell isn't a good fit for her. But it's the shell she came in from the pet store. Currently she is in the dish.

Small peak, she's holding herself partly out of the shell. I don't think she likes it. But I don't know if I should do anything else.

IamSam

Re: Hermit came out of shell, didn't chose a new one.

Post by IamSam » Fri May 12, 2023 12:23 pm

Heating- what size mat's are they?

Humidity- lots of people who dont have solid lids and have a mesh lid will cover it in plastic wrap to help keep the humidity in. It may also help keep the heat in.

Sponges- dried natural sponges are fine if they are put in there for them to eat. Wet sponges are not necessary and most crabbers don't have them in their tank at all since they are basically bacteria magnets. My crabs came with sponges but I don't use them. As for cleaning sponges you put them in the microwave for a bit.

Shells- what shape opening is the current shell and the new potential shells? Purple Pinchers usually go for turbo, magpie or similar shells because they tend to like circular or D shaped openings, but not always.

From what I can tell you've done everything that everyone says you're supposed to do in this kind of situation. Someone else may know more as I am still fairly new to hermit crabs. Since she's still a pretty new crab it might be PPS.

I don't know if this will be relevant to your situation but a couple months after I got my crabs I was convinced my more active crab had passed. He was grey, not moving and dropped some limbs. But I was advised to put a half soda bottle over him and wait and see and not to do anything drastic if I don't smell anything fishy coming from him. And now he's back to himself and fine.

Your crab seems to be doing better then mine was so this may not be helpful to you but I think it's always good to know that with hermit crabs it's best to know not to do anything drastic before things start to smell.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hermit came out of shell, didn't chose a new one.

Post by curlysister » Fri May 12, 2023 10:59 pm

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
Coco fiber and play sand mixed. 3-4 inches at shallowest(has a hill in tank)
Curly - HCA recommends that the sub be at least 2 to 3 times as deep as your largest crab - if you have a slope, it should be that at the lowest point. It should be moistened with dechlorinated water so that it is damp enough to hold it's shape.

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
Yes, one of each side of tank. I know I'm having slightly problems with Keeping temp and humidity high enough. Temp ranges from 70-75. Humidity, 60-80. Ik the humidity is bad.
Curly - Temp should be at least 72, but 75 to 80 allows for occasional dips. If you lid is mesh, you can put plastic wrap over it (but not if you are using a heat light obviously). Depending on the type of heating mats, some can be insulated over top. If the mat itself can't be isulated over, you can insulate the other areas of the tank.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
having to temporarily use a overhead light because the 3 heating mates weren't cutting it. And it's still not. We put a blanket or thick cloth over top of tank to keep heat and humidity in. I don't remember brand for either of them. But it's three under tank heating pads on the side of the tank.and one over head heat lamp.
Curly - How big are the heating pads? Do they have a sticky side, or do you attach them with tape?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
Both salt and water. Currently using zoomed salt water. Planning to switch to instant ocean when I can. House runs off of well water, we don't have anything to dechlorinate mainly because we don't have to.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
Replaced everyday. Trying new foods since there new crabs. Rover shrimp, carrots, but they have a food block meant to be used for vacation. They have eaten off it.
Curly - Crabs do well with a varied diet, including fruits, veggies, grains, greens, and calcium and protein daily. Check out the 'nutrition' care sheet for full info.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
About 2-3 months. I believe they are a purple pincher.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
Yes, molted a month to 1 week ago(don't fully remember)

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
50 or 30 gallon tank I believe. Metal mess top.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
3 crabs. All about the same size. Id say Maybe the size of a quarter?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?
Currently 11 shells (my mom kept finding more)
Curly - What type of shells do you have? Some shells are preferred by certain species.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
No

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
I clean food every day, clean water dishes when low(every Three days currently due to over head heat light) I clean about once a week with a substrate scoop? Basically tiny cat litter scoop.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
Yes... I don't know how to clean it.
As mentioned, sponges can be put in dry for them to eat, but they shouldn't be in the pools because they just grow bacteria.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
Other then more shells, no.

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?
Currently having to use an overhead heat light to keep temp in a ok zone. They have been hiding in the moss den and in another hidey hole they have. I mist them down twice a day(still can't keep humidity up)

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.
A crab came out of her shell and didn't go back in. She always had trouble moving around in her old shell(it was rather bulky and a bit awkward.) Today she came out, could have been anywhere from 3-1 hour ago. I did as suggested and rised her and her shell off. As well as potential new shells and set them in a dish with a shallow layer of water on the bottom. She kept trying to hide in crevices near the salt water dish. Would crawl through salt water, but wouldn't go back in any shell while in habit.

She went back into her old shell partly when I put a towel over the dish. I'm worried the old shell isn't a good fit for her. But it's the shell she came in from the pet store. Currently she is in the dish.

Small peak, she's holding herself partly out of the shell. I don't think she likes it. But I don't know if I should do anything else.

Curly - If she is weak, you should keep her isolated from the other crabs. This can be in a container within the main tank, like a margarine tub with holes in the lid, so she has proper temp and humidity. You will need to trouble shoot the heat and humidity, to keep both within safe limits. I would feed some high energy foods, like small amounts of honey and peanut butter, to try to boost her energy.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers