breeding saltwater snails for shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
Quinnthescrub

breeding saltwater snails for shells

Post by Quinnthescrub » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:24 am

has anyone thought about breeding snails for hermit crabs? I am not currently able to do this, but if someone got live turbo snails or other popular species, and had them in an aquarium, and have a snail eating animal of some sort in the tank as well to produce empty shells, you could farm shells for hermit crabs while only taking a few from the wild. This could be the solution for some of the shell shortages (say that 5x fast) across the world. There is probably more to the process than I think, but it would be a good way to get shells for your hermit crabs.

myllkti

Re: breeding saltwater snails for shells

Post by myllkti » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:26 pm

I have brought this idea up to an acquaintance snail keeper in the past, sadly, it turns out to be a bit sadder from the snail side of things. Since they grow their shells throughout their life, snail farmers doing this would need to scrape the deceased snail friends out of their shells. Pragmatically: possible but somewhat slow. Emotionally: not ideal

I do save undamaged snail shells from seafood restaurants though! That's perhaps the closest thing I can think of off the top of my head. In addition, when you buy shells from trustworthy sources such as Naples, that is also a byproduct of the mollusk industry, so no additional snails are hurt nor are additional shells taken. A friend and I are also working on a project to restore painted shells to give back to the wild, but that is in a plannig stage and even after will need to be in an experimental stage for a long time to determine safety
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Join the Hermit Crab Haven discord!: https://discord.gg/3SnvTczt7p

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:56 pm

myllkti wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:26 pm
I have brought this idea up to an acquaintance snail keeper in the past, sadly, it turns out to be a bit sadder from the snail side of things. Since they grow their shells throughout their life, snail farmers doing this would need to scrape the deceased snail friends out of their shells. Pragmatically: possible but somewhat slow. Emotionally: not ideal

I do save undamaged snail shells from seafood restaurants though! That's perhaps the closest thing I can think of off the top of my head. In addition, when you buy shells from trustworthy sources such as Naples, that is also a byproduct of the mollusk industry, so no additional snails are hurt nor are additional shells taken. A friend and I are also working on a project to restore painted shells to give back to the wild, but that is in a plannig stage and even after will need to be in an experimental stage for a long time to determine safety
I have thought about this as well! Don't snails grow out of their shells, drop it, and grow bigger ones? Isn't that how crabs find them in the wild? Or do they eat dead snails and take the shell?
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

hermitsinnc

Post by hermitsinnc » Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:47 pm

Snails continue building their shells larger throughout their lifetime. They have the same shell for their whole life. When they die, the body rots or is eaten, and the shell remains. The longer the snail lived before dying, the bigger the shell will be.
3 PPs: Maxwell (small), Mitchelle (medium/small), Kendall (medium/large)
also have 10gal freshwater fishtank w/ neon tetras, pygmy cories, and nerite snails

"I am here, I am loved, God is good, and that's enough." --Brandon Heath

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:53 pm

Hermit crabs collect shells after their occupants have passed away. I have taken deceased turbo snails and removed them from their shells, and those shells were used by my hermits for a time so it’s doable. However, you will need to kill the snails if you want their shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:14 am

JoeHermits wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:53 pm
Hermit crabs collect shells after their occupants have passed away. I have taken deceased turbo snails and removed them from their shells, and those shells were used by my hermits for a time so it’s doable. However, you will need to kill the snails if you want their shells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sounds like a bit harsh and mean.. I don't know how I feel about that tbh. Sounds more expensive then buying shells, especially considering having to buy and care for the snails until they are a "good" size.. Unless you breed them and then put them in a growing tank, and then finally a tank with something that will kill them but not bother the shells.. Sounds like a lot of work, time, and money just to "farm" snail shells. And it's kinda sad..
~
~
KyMart

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:15 am

hermitsinnc wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:47 pm
Snails continue building their shells larger throughout their lifetime. They have the same shell for their whole life. When they die, the body rots or is eaten, and the shell remains. The longer the snail lived before dying, the bigger the shell will be.
Ok, that makes sense! Thank you!
~
~
KyMart