Heating?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
sunflower_crabitat

Heating?

Post by sunflower_crabitat » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:59 pm

Usually my temp (in tank) falls between 75 and 77 F however, since I've moved them to their rubber tote (temporarily until Moe is done molting) it's been closer to 70 F which is getting to be too cold for them. I don't have a heater since it's usually good at maintaining temperature itself, what should I do in the mean time? (getting a heater would be a last resort but if there's nothing else then that's what I'll do soon)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyMart

Re: Heating?

Post by KyMart » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:32 pm

sunflower_crabitat wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:59 pm
Usually my temp (in tank) falls between 75 and 77 F however, since I've moved them to their rubber tote (temporarily until Moe is done molting) it's been closer to 70 F which is getting to be too cold for them. I don't have a heater since it's usually good at maintaining temperature itself, what should I do in the mean time? (getting a heater would be a last resort but if there's nothing else then that's what I'll do soon)

My tank tends to fall between 85° F and 91° F, sometimes it goes up to 95° F which is very hot! I'm always worried about my substrate drying out, but then it goes back down (it just depends on the heat outside tbh). I use an ultratherm that covers almost the entire back of the tank above the substate, and I would recommend you getting one similar when you get them into the 18 gallon! Since it's 8 gallons bigger then ur old tank, it's going to need a little extra help with the heat, and it will be good to have for this winter! I got mine from reptile basics, and it came in about a week! You can also get a nob to adjust the heat it gives off (you can find them on Amazon, they can also be used for lights). I have been thinking about getting one, but it only goes up for about 95° F about an hour a week, and then goes back down to 91° F!
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:06 pm

Have you tried adding some insulation around the sides, or adding a couple of folded up blankets on the top of the tub?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
sunflower_crabitat

Post by sunflower_crabitat » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:07 pm

KyMart wrote: My tank tends to fall between 85° F and 91° F, sometimes it goes up to 95° F which is very hot! I'm always worried about my substrate drying out, but then it goes back down (it just depends on the heat outside tbh). I use an ultratherm that covers almost the entire back of the tank above the substate, and I would recommend you getting one similar when you get them into the 18 gallon! Since it's 8 gallons bigger then ur old tank, it's going to need a little extra help with the heat, and it will be good to have for this winter! I got mine from reptile basics, and it came in about a week! You can also get a nob to adjust the heat it gives off (you can find them on Amazon, they can also be used for lights). I have been thinking about getting one, but it only goes up for about 95° F about an hour a week, and then goes back down to 91° F!
Okay! Thank you!

Topic author
sunflower_crabitat

Post by sunflower_crabitat » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:07 pm

curlysister wrote:Have you tried adding some insulation around the sides, or adding a couple of folded up blankets on the top of the tub?
No, but I will try that! Thank you!

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:16 pm

sunflower_crabitat wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:07 pm
Okay! Thank you!

You're welcome!
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:17 pm

Did anything else change about the enclosure other than switching from glass to plastic? It should have stayed the same exact temp if a heat source had never been used on either, it would match whatever your room temperature is at. I'm wondering, did you move where the tank was located? Or maybe the change in seasons changed the house temp?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram