Hermit crab buried but Crabitat needs to be cleaned

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
DragonWolf

Hermit crab buried but Crabitat needs to be cleaned

Post by DragonWolf » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:20 pm

Hi! So my crabitat (aka the champ lair), needs to be cleaned out and dirt needs to be switched, however, anytime I need to do that, one of my crabs (aka champs) are buried.

As of right now, I've been having little flies fly around in the tank, I try and kill them when I can! However, one of my champs, aka the small is buried underground and hasnt resurfaced, but the big one is out and about and unfortunately croaks here and there.

I wanna change the dirt, but I'm scared that itll harm the little one big time, what should I do?

KyMart

Re: Hermit crab buried but Crabitat needs to be cleaned

Post by KyMart » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:35 pm

DragonWolf wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:20 pm
Hi! So my crabitat (aka the champ lair), needs to be cleaned out and dirt needs to be switched, however, anytime I need to do that, one of my crabs (aka champs) are buried.

As of right now, I've been having little flies fly around in the tank, I try and kill them when I can! However, one of my champs, aka the small is buried underground and hasnt resurfaced, but the big one is out and about and unfortunately croaks here and there.

I wanna change the dirt, but I'm scared that itll harm the little one big time, what should I do?
Before I give any advice I want to ask a few questions!

How long ago was the tank cleaned?

What do you mean by "dirt"?

Are you going to replace the "dirt" with something else?

Is yes, what?

How many inches of substrate do you currently have?

How many inches of substrate are you planning to put in when you replace the "dirt"?

What type of lid is on your tank?

How big is your tank?

How many crabs are in your tank?

Thanks so much for answering my questions!
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

Topic author
DragonWolf

Post by DragonWolf » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:44 pm

Last time it was cleaned, was I wanna say several months ago! It's due for a switch that's for sure!

The dirt is coming earth and sand mixed together!

Itll be replaced with the same mix I'm 90% sure!

Inches, lemme measure that, 2-3 1/2 inches!

We lack a lid, have been for 4 years now!

Its 20 gallons!

And two hermit crabs! One big one, one small one!

Recently, when the little one was out and about with the big, I think a pecking order was being established BC the big one and small one had their antennas touching and the big one was all up on the small one, I had separated them in the tank when it happened and kept an eye out

Topic author
DragonWolf

Post by DragonWolf » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:46 pm

My typing messed up

The dirt is eco earth!

And likely same amount if substrate will be put!

Topic author
DragonWolf

Post by DragonWolf » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:47 pm

I'm having my dad help with this, hes the one who suggested it, but he meant turning over the eco earth and play sand, not switching it

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:41 pm

DragonWolf wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:47 pm
I'm having my dad help with this, hes the one who suggested it, but he meant turning over the eco earth and play sand, not switching it
Oh! So you're going to mix it up, and re moisten it a little???
~
~
KyMart

Topic author
DragonWolf

Post by DragonWolf » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:54 pm

Pretty much! But I'm scared to as I dont wanna stress out the little hermit crab!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:56 pm

I don't need to ask any further questions to answer your original question.

It can be harmful to a molting crab to dig them up. And it is impossible to know whether a crab who is underground is molting, de-stressing, or just hanging out. So you should wait until they are both above ground to mix up or replace your sub. It won't hurt to wait longer - heck, I've never replaced my sub, just added more as my crabs have grown and I have upgraded tanks!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
DragonWolf

Post by DragonWolf » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:17 pm

Oh man that's gonna be a while, this always happens one of them stays buried for a long time and I'm all concerned BC of the flies that keep getting in :( I think they're drain flies, my dad says they're fruit flies, but they were there before I put an apple in

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:22 pm

The flies won't be in the dirt, so changing it won't affect them being attracted to the tank. They're going to be going after the food, or will be attracted just because the tank needs to be moist and warm for the hermits.

Drain flies need standing water to reproduce and the larvae looks like tiny black worms, you'd see it in their water dishes if they were in there.

You can always clean any non-buried objects and the surface of the substrate while the crabs are down, just don't poke around or disturb the sand. I've emptied tanks to be bare substrate before and it can narrow down where problems are coming from.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:16 am

wodesorel wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:22 pm
The flies won't be in the dirt, so changing it won't affect them being attracted to the tank. They're going to be going after the food, or will be attracted just because the tank needs to be moist and warm for the hermits.

Drain flies need standing water to reproduce and the larvae looks like tiny black worms, you'd see it in their water dishes if they were in there.

You can always clean any non-buried objects and the surface of the substrate while the crabs are down, just don't poke around or disturb the sand. I've emptied tanks to be bare substrate before and it can narrow down where problems are coming from.
Question! Do you think if they are after food getting isopods would help this person? Because they would eat the leftover food! I totally agree on bare substrate being able to help narrow down problems within the tank, it lets you not be as distracted by everything else!
~
~
KyMart

Topic author
DragonWolf

Post by DragonWolf » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:47 pm

Thank you so much for the advice of cleaning out the objects in the tank and doing bare substrate! I'll defiently check for the larvae, hopefully itll help!

Topic author
DragonWolf

Post by DragonWolf » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:54 pm

My dad managed to get a better look at theflies, they're fruit flies!

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:22 pm

DragonWolf wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:54 pm
My dad managed to get a better look at theflies, they're fruit flies!
So glad to hear that they are just fruit flies! Them little pesky buggers, I'm so glad my tank hasn't attracted them, I would get so annoyed so fast! If I were you, I would get isopods, they are a great cleanup crew and will eat uneaten food that they drag around (which is what the flies are after), and the waste from your crabs! I'm going to get springtails soon, next time I go to the pet store probably! I'm so excited to add them to my tank, I personally think springtails are kind of cute!
Last edited by KyMart on Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
~
~
KyMart

Topic author
DragonWolf

Post by DragonWolf » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:48 pm

OHH! I'll think about it, that might help! They womt harm the hermit crabs right??