I did a good thing today! by KyMart

For topics relating to crab care that do not fit into the other categories.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I did a good thing today! by KyMart

Post by curlysister » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:18 am

KyMart wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:43 pm
We rarely ever have any die on their way here, maybe a few a month.. It's still sad tho.. We got a little guy in two weeks ago that left his shell, I gave him a quick bath and re shelled him. He came out a few more times, but I didn't give up, I then took him out of the cage and put him in a box with some extra shells, he finally stayed in the shell. After about 15 minutes of staying in I put him back with the others, and he lived! He went home with a new family about a week later, I'm so happy I saved him.
I guarantee that there are many more than that who die between the time they are taken from their natural habitat and the time they arrive at the store.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
KyMart

Post by KyMart » Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:47 pm

curlysister wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:18 am
I guarantee that there are many more than that who die between the time they are taken from their natural habitat and the time they arrive at the store.
I am fully aware, I am just saying that very few die from the time they are sent from FMR to the time they arrive at our store.
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

myllkti

Post by myllkti » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:20 pm

Hey! So what curly means is that so many die even before shipping. But anyways I didn’t come here for that I accidentally ran back into this article and it reminded me of you!! https://crabstreetjournal.org/blog/category/faq-3/ (tho to kymart I would suggest skipping the part about PPDRM)

I know it’s technically an outside resource and the HCA has viewtopic.php?f=40&t=95169 but that one is more specific and doesn’t promote anything bad (though as I pointed out PPDRM is discouraged both by HCA and my own personal beliefs) and I do not by any means agree with all LHCOS guidelines (like that lol) so I hope posting just that article is okay :)
Mere, Elie, and Syd!

Join the Hermit Crab Haven discord!: https://discord.gg/3SnvTczt7p

Topic author
KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:00 pm

myllkti wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:20 pm
Hey! So what curly means is that so many die even before shipping. But anyways I didn’t come here for that I accidentally ran back into this article and it reminded me of you!! https://crabstreetjournal.org/blog/category/faq-3/ (tho to kymart I would suggest skipping the part about PPDRM)

I know it’s technically an outside resource and the HCA has viewtopic.php?f=40&t=95169 but that one is more specific and doesn’t promote anything bad (though as I pointed out PPDRM is discouraged both by HCA and my own personal beliefs) and I do not by any means agree with all LHCOS guidelines (like that lol) so I hope posting just that article is okay :)
Thank you for sharing that article! Next year (aka this winter and fall!) we are going to work towards getting crabs in natural shells, improving there care in our store, getting a better care sheet, and better supplies to sell our customers! Apparently sometimes we get a few crabs in natural shells at our store (like 2-3 a year minimum), and they are swiped up very fast! I think that fact alone can help me convince my boss, he’s a very nice man, and if I educate him, I’m sure he will be willing to make some adjustments to improve his business!
~
~
KyMart

Topic author
KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:01 pm

The natural shelled crabs are put into the shipment by accident, but if I happen to see one at our store I am going to buy it so fast!
~
~
KyMart

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:30 pm

No chance of persuading him not to sell crabs?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
KyMart

Post by KyMart » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:08 pm

curlysister wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:30 pm
No chance of persuading him not to sell crabs?
Sadly, probably not. The only thing I can really do is convince him to provide them with better care in a way that will make his business better. If we are going to sell crabs, I want to do it the right way with good information, good products, good care in our store. This includes: a nicely sized set up sold to customers, small UTHs for heat, water dishes, prime, IO, solid lids to keep in humidity, hydrometer/thermometer, multiple extra shells per crab, substrate, and a comprehensive care guide. I want to do this in a way where it is comparable to the price we sell our crabs and currently supplies now with not much of a difference. I want to find a good alternative to wire cages and critter keepers. I want to figure out all of the nitty gritty about what we can legally do (ie - can we sell play sand from a 50 pound bag in the tanks?). I want to do this cleanly, efficiently, and give these little guys a chance, that’s all I can do. I don’t expect him to carry 10 gallon Aqueon tanks, that would be crazy, we don’t have the space for that, and these people are tourist, they have to carry these crabs around with them all day and then take them home. But the real question is, is there a good light tank with a solid lid that is 5-10 gallons, easy to move around, and has enough hight and width for this? I don’t expect my store to have 6 inches of substrate, that is extremely dangerous for the crabs. But I do expect at least a 55-77 gallon tank. I will tell my boss that I will even find all of the stuff and set up the tank myself, I would give him a basic budget and see what he thinks. I plan to outline how this will be good for his business and the crabs involved. He’s a nice man, I’ve known him my whole life, I think he will listen to me if I really try.
~
~
KyMart