can my hermie be kept alone?

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
_icosa_

can my hermie be kept alone?

Post by _icosa_ » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:15 am

i prevously had two hermies, one has passed recently (scully). i was wondering if it would be possible to keep my remaining crab (mulder) by herself? i have ample space for multiple crabs, but mulder is extremely food and shell defensive and i think it may be the reason for scullys death. they never fought for real, but from day one mulder would chase scully away from food and shells. i bought plenty of suitable shells and had multiple food sources but it didnt seem to help at all. scully just buried constantly, i got him last october and he had been buried about 3/4 of the time i had him.
i know hermit crabs are social creatures but im not sure that mulder isnt just a bully. if i have to get another crab, how would i go about making sure this doesnt happen again? i need advice :[

Rubberducky

Re: can my hermie be kept alone?

Post by Rubberducky » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:15 am

Yea but they might be sad get fake crabs that don’t move I’ve here as the keep company

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: can my hermie be kept alone?

Post by curlysister » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:29 pm

What used to be thought of as social behavior is now known to be more a matter of resource sharing. So while you can get more crabs if you want to, crabs will certainly be just fine alone as well.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers