This hobby is dangerous! New crabitat project.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Virtus

This hobby is dangerous! New crabitat project.

Post by Virtus » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:29 pm

I'm only about a month and a half into my crab journey and am working on upgrading from our 29g already. Saw this 50 gallon (36x18x18) front opening terrarium on Marketplace for $40 I just couldn’t pass on ha. Picked up a 40 breeder on sale from Petco and we’re on our way!

I've got a rough idea of what I'm going to do but looking forward to somewhat slowly building this one out and seeing how it comes together.

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This hobby is dangerous! New crabitat project.

Post by JoeHermits » Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:02 pm

If you think this hobby is dangerous I suggest you be careful since we’re only going to encourage you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:07 am

JoeHermits wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:02 pm
If you think this hobby is dangerous I suggest you be careful since we’re only going to encourage you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fr, we are not the people to come to, we are going to encourage building up to your dream crabitat ALWAYS! I currently have my mini dream crabitat, and I’m in love with it! It was about $500, but it was so worth it! I would do it again if I could! I’m in love with it, and love watching my crabs enjoy their home! It makes me so happy! Plus, if you keep upgrading you can get more pet with the old tanks or save them and build a 20 story penthouse for your crabs, you’re gonna need a nice latter tho so you better save up! :lol:
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart

Topic author
Virtus

Post by Virtus » Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:07 pm

Some slow progress.

Got the second level cut out and rested within the lid recess of the base tank. I plan to cover it and other egg crate walkways in coco liner. I have 3D printed pools which will be placed in the front right corner on the second level so they are right by the doors and easy to access.

I then got an approximately 6" strip of egg crate cut out and placed across the back top of the base tank, and complete coverage on the back and one side of the topper. I'm going to cover it in boxwood panels and then affix various wood and egg crate walkways up and around the topper.

Right now everything is just friction fit; I won't start securing anything and building out the background until I get my Ultratherm UTHs sometime this week and am able to attach them and insulate the back of the tanks.

Will try to complete the background and get the topper mounted and secured by the end of next weekend and then add substrate sometime the following week; planning for 8-9" of 5:1 play sand and Eco Earth.

hermitcrablover2
Location: Why do you want to know?... Ok fine SOMEWHERE in California.

Post by hermitcrablover2 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:45 pm

Nice!
2 PP's (Boba and Blue), 1 Dog (Coco)

"Eateth. Thy. WORDS." - Donatello, ROTTMNT

Topic author
Virtus

Post by Virtus » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:29 pm

The good part of doing a build slowly is it allows time to really evaluate and change directions when things don't work as well as you initially imagined. I started wrapping the second level in coco liner and just wasn't happy with the look; the original layout was way too big and I believe would have blocked a lot of light from reaching the lowel level.

I decided to turn the second level into just a walkway around the back and sides of the tank that will be incorporated in with other wood, bridges, and the background for ample climbing areas. Doing the coco lining twice really helped to figure out the best way to attach it to make the zip ties much less obvious.

With these changes I will be moving the pools to the lower level but most likely still in the front right corner.

I expect to make some good progress on Saturday including securing heat pads and insulating both tanks, covering the background egg crate in the boxwood panels and securing them in the tank, and attaching a cork tile to the right side of the topper. There will be additional "walkways", cork rounds, cholla wood, and coconut hides added around the back and side of the topper. Will probably

Topic author
Virtus

Post by Virtus » Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:09 am

Mostly finished project

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:07 pm

Looks great!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

jst

Post by jst » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:29 am

What is that water pool called ? Is it a specific for crab coz it has a built-in "stairs" , how about the inside does it have stairs too or you have to add something for the crab to get out.

-edit-
Nvm, I found a ramp bowl. It is for small turtle but usable for hermit crabs as well.