Cohabitation? Hermit crabs + Taiwan Yellow Land crab

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Cyanicc

Cohabitation? Hermit crabs + Taiwan Yellow Land crab

Post by Cyanicc » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:11 pm

Hello! New member here, but experienced hermit crab owner.
I work at a small family owned pet store, and we have a Taiwan yellow land crab. She’s been here for about 5 months, and I’ve come to fall in love with her extremely sassy personality.

Now, I’m setting up a 4x2x18 75gal enclosure for my hermit crabs (4, currently housed in a 37 bowfront tank). Would I be able to keep the Taiwan land crab in the tank with the hermit crabs? The freshwater pool is approximately 1.5 gallons.
I’ve seen many different opinions on cohabbing different species of crabs together, but they’re all of similar sizes and there should be plenty of room for everyone to have their spaces.
Let me know your thoughts!
A family of lovely purple pinchers
A voracious Volcano morph Cherax Destructor
A sassy Banana crab
And a pigeon biting my feet

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Cohabitation? Hermit crabs + Taiwan Yellow Land crab

Post by wodesorel » Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:26 pm

I see two possible issues after googling a bit on on this species.

Molting. There's some posts saying Taiwanese crabs do dig, which can cause issues with hermits who are stuck in one place for a few weeks while they molt. I'm not seeing anything on how the Taiwan crabs molt with a quick search, but if it's on land or in water or even in an open burrow, they'll be sitting ducks for the hermits for at least a few hours. Just something to consider. All crabs are opportunistic when it comes to an easy meal, usually they're armored enough that it acts as a deterrent and molting is the only time they end up at risk.

The saltwater. What I'm seeing is saying the Taiwan crabs are fully freshwater and don't occur near the coast. They may not have the ability to distinguish between the two types of pools, and non-ocean dwelling animals don't have the kidney (or equivalent) function to filter out excess sodium and other salts.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Cyanicc

Post by Cyanicc » Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:00 pm

wodesorel wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:26 pm
I see two possible issues after googling a bit on on this species.

Molting. There's some posts saying Taiwanese crabs do dig, which can cause issues with hermits who are stuck in one place for a few weeks while they molt. I'm not seeing anything on how the Taiwan crabs molt with a quick search, but if it's on land or in water or even in an open burrow, they'll be sitting ducks for the hermits for at least a few hours. Just something to consider. All crabs are opportunistic when it comes to an easy meal, usually they're armored enough that it acts as a deterrent and molting is the only time they end up at risk.

The saltwater. What I'm seeing is saying the Taiwan crabs are fully freshwater and don't occur near the coast. They may not have the ability to distinguish between the two types of pools, and non-ocean dwelling animals don't have the kidney (or equivalent) function to filter out excess sodium and other salts.
Ohh that’s true, I didn’t even consider molting. Hmm…
A family of lovely purple pinchers
A voracious Volcano morph Cherax Destructor
A sassy Banana crab
And a pigeon biting my feet

hermitcrablover2
Location: Why do you want to know?... Ok fine SOMEWHERE in California.

Post by hermitcrablover2 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:13 pm

Cyanicc wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:00 pm
Ohh that’s true, I didn’t even consider molting. Hmm…
Maybe you could make some sort of barrier in the tank, with the taiwan crab one side and the hermies on the other? it probably wouldnt be too hard to make a barrier out of mesh or smnthg if u wanted to, youd just have to make sure it went all the way down in the substrate
2 PP's (Boba and Blue), 1 Dog (Coco)

"Eateth. Thy. WORDS." - Donatello, ROTTMNT