DIY 40 Gal Tote Tank

For presenting do-it-yourself projects for your crabitat and for discussing and displaying custom built crabitats. Also for questions and reviews on equipment and products. *Stores and their reviews now have their own section in Classifieds*

Topic author
Spocktopus

Re: DIY 40 Gal Tote Tank

Post by Spocktopus » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:53 pm

Hermiemom68 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:28 pm
I love your set up! I have been wanting to use totes for awhile now but I read they leak fumes from pvc they use to harden plastics. Have you noticed any kind of smell? I’m getting older and just can’t handle those heavy glass aquariums and loved the tote idea. How long have you had them in your tote setup? I love what you’ve done😀
Sorry for such a delayed reply, but if you are still interested in this idea I can give you a great answer now that a lot of time has passed! I have never noticed a plastic smell of any kind from the tote in the past two years. I believe this is because Sterilite is food safe. I wouldn’t recommend using any other brand of tote without research first. The Sterilite recommendation came from this forum, although the post I used for reference is long lost in my memory unfortunately.

Thank you for your kind words! The tote has been a fantastic enclosure for my crabbies. The plastic holds in humidity perfectly, and my crabs are still thriving to this day. I just fed them :) Two of my crabs have been in there since the day of the original post, and two new crabs have been living in there as well since Halloween 2022. I’m thinking of getting some new decor and shells soon to liven things up. One thing I will recommend is either passing on the LED lights or getting a good waterproof strip of LEDs. The strip I had ended up breaking after a year. All of the original toys and hides are holding up just fine, even the leaves. The handle and wheels were invaluable when I had to move apartments, I just had to remove the substrate. Definitely way more manageable and cheaper than glass!
~ stay cool ~
pet dad to Dottie the dog + Scuttle and Tank the purple pinchers

Topic author
Spocktopus

Re: DIY 40 Gal Tote Tank

Post by Spocktopus » Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:58 pm

hermitcrablover2 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:32 pm
This is so cool! How much was the tote? I never considered using one, but I've been wanting to upgrade my crabitat for a while
Thank you so much! The tote was 40 USD, purchased in store at Home Depot. I would highly recommend the Sterilite brand of totes over anything else, and I would also recommend getting a model with a transparent lid. Sterilite was a little difficult to find in my area at the time, but it was mostly due to COVID-19 related supply chain issues so it’s probably easier to find now!
~ stay cool ~
pet dad to Dottie the dog + Scuttle and Tank the purple pinchers