Tank lid help

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
CaseyCase04

Tank lid help

Post by CaseyCase04 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:18 pm

I have a 40 gallon breeder fish tank for my crabs and have been having a lot of trouble with keeping the humidity in currently I have a wire mesh lid with a blanket over it I’m wanting to switch to a pexiglass lid but have no idea how many holes it needs for air filtration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emayers

Re: Tank lid help

Post by emayers » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:12 pm

There should be enough "fresh" air when you open the lid to add food or water. Also, our tanks are not usually air tight and will allow a slow exchange of air. If in doubt, add a couple small holes that you can plug or cover to help with temp and humidity as needed.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:15 pm

Cover your mesh lid completely in plastic/saran wrap. That will keep the moisture in. A blanket is porous, and will absorb the moisture instead of keeping it in the tank.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:18 am

I have a plexi glass lid with one corner cut out of the plexiglass to allow air flow. The corner isn't huge, like maybe 2 or 3 inches on each side.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:41 am

And a thinner sheet of plexi (which is cheaper) can be used overtop the screen lid so it's still secure so the crabs don't escape!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram