New Member - Hi and Question

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
Christis1974

New Member - Hi and Question

Post by Christis1974 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:07 pm

Hello all,
So, my son got two small hermit crabs for his homemade terrarium yesterday, and we quickly learned that they need a lot more than what PetSmart said they did. They now have sand substrate, moss, a saltwater pool with rocks to climb out, fresh water, a spray bottle for misting, a heating pad, thermometer and hydrogeter, and hermit crab food. We have them in a 6 gallon plastic tub with plants and a top to keep in humidity, for the moment, while we are working on getting a 29 gallon tank. I understand that it is way too small, we just have to get the tank.

My question is - they are buried down in the sand and haven't really moved. How will I know if they are ok? I know it was a little cold for them at first until we got the heating pad. I checked on one early on and he moved his claw a little, so he is alive, but I don't know how to tell if they are just recovering by burrowing, or when they are not ok anymore. I know we made a lot of mistakes - we are working on it and trying to learn, so please do not be too critical, but I would like some advice because we are totally new to hermit crabs. Thanks very much :?

Demaetrix

Re: New Member - Hi and Question

Post by Demaetrix » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:52 am

You’re taking the step in the right direction! It sounds like you are worried for your hermies, but have no fear burrowing is part of their natural behavior. Hermit crabs can take months before they resurface due to what’s called “molting”. When they are underground do your best not to disturb them, or the substrate. I’m sure someone will give you better advice but I just wanted to give you some peace of mind since you’re waiting for a response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Demi
“⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️”
- 🦀🐚

Demaetrix

Post by Demaetrix » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:03 am

Note: It's not uncommon for them to bury themselves when they're adjusting to a new environment or when they're stressed. As long as they have access to the necessary elements like heat, humidity, food, and water, they should be fine. Keep an eye on the temperature and humidity levels to ensure they're within the appropriate range for hermit crabs.

Keep up the good work in providing them with a comfortable habitat!

Demi
“⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️”
- 🦀🐚

Jenny55

Post by Jenny55 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:29 pm

Good for you doing the right thing! I did the same thing last summer. Sadly pet stores dont always give proper info. But yes as D said, they bury themselves to de-stress and molt. I worried about my guys and one of my original crabs from Myrtle Beach is still going strong. But sounds like youre doing all the right things! Hermit crab food from the pet stores is loaded with preservatives. Etsy has a lot of great shops that sell approved foods. I personally like crabitat cafe, hermit crab shack and hermit grub. The last shop takes a while to ship it I'm always happy with what I get. The complete meals are great. Good luck to you and I added a pic of Gerald from Myrtle Beach in a murex shell that I just found in Jan on my trip to Florida :)Image

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:34 pm

Jenny55 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:29 pm
Good for you doing the right thing! I did the same thing last summer. Sadly pet stores dont always give proper info. But yes as D said, they bury themselves to de-stress and molt. I worried about my guys and one of my original crabs from Myrtle Beach is still going strong. But sounds like youre doing all the right things! Hermit crab food from the pet stores is loaded with preservatives. Etsy has a lot of great shops that sell approved foods. I personally like crabitat cafe, hermit crab shack and hermit grub. The last shop takes a while to ship it I'm always happy with what I get. The complete meals are great. Good luck to you and I added a pic of Gerald from Myrtle Beach in a murex shell that I just found in Jan on my trip to Florida :)Image

Just one correction - there are lots of foods that can be found at pet stores that are safe and appropriate, such as cuttle bone, dried shrimp, dried meat dog/ cat treats, dried blood worms, dried insects like crickets, dried flowers for lizards, even some foods marketed to crabs (just have to read the labels for preservatives). And you can feed all kinds of foods from your kitchen too, such as fruits, vegetables, meats, eggs, nuts, seeds, greens, etc. A mix of dried and fresh foods is good.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Jenny55

Post by Jenny55 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:39 pm

Oh thanks for correcting that, I forgot about those other products. I havent found a safe hermit crab food. I never heard of offering dried meat dog and cat treats. Any particular brand you use?

Demaetrix

Post by Demaetrix » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:25 am

Are There Safe Commercial Foods?

If you do not have the means to feed your hermit crabs an all natural diet, you may want to consider using the following commercial foods. Please note that while some of these may be called 'treats', all are safe to use as part of a regular diet.

Hikari Bio-Pure Frozen Foods
Hikari Bio-Pure Freeze Dried Foods
Many products at Brine Shrimp Direct
San Francisco Bay Brand - dry and frozen foods
Wardley Turtle Delight(Ingredients: Dried Whole Shrimp)
Fluker's Medley Treat (without the pellets)
Fluker's Freeze Dried Diets
Fluker's Freeze Dried Soldier Worms
Fluker's Freeze Dried Grasshoppers
Zilla Reptile & Small Animal Munchies
ZooMed Hermit Crab Fruit Salad
Omega One: Various Freeze-dried Nutri-Treats
FMR Fruit Treat
Fluker's Red and Purple Hermit Crab Color Enhancers
Fluker's Hermit Crab Instant Fruit Treat
All Living Things Powder Treat

Canned items with no preservatives or added ingredients, like pure snails, shrimp, crickets, mealworms, silkworms, and grasshoppers. (Freeze leftovers to keep them fresh)

Source: viewtopic.php?t=92555

Demi
“⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️”
- 🦀🐚

Jenny55

Post by Jenny55 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:40 am

Demaetrix wrote:Are There Safe Commercial Foods?

If you do not have the means to feed your hermit crabs an all natural diet, you may want to consider using the following commercial foods. Please note that while some of these may be called 'treats', all are safe to use as part of a regular diet.

Hikari Bio-Pure Frozen Foods
Hikari Bio-Pure Freeze Dried Foods
Many products at Brine Shrimp Direct
San Francisco Bay Brand - dry and frozen foods
Wardley Turtle Delight(Ingredients: Dried Whole Shrimp)
Fluker's Medley Treat (without the pellets)
Fluker's Freeze Dried Diets
Fluker's Freeze Dried Soldier Worms
Fluker's Freeze Dried Grasshoppers
Zilla Reptile & Small Animal Munchies
ZooMed Hermit Crab Fruit Salad
Omega One: Various Freeze-dried Nutri-Treats
FMR Fruit Treat
Fluker's Red and Purple Hermit Crab Color Enhancers
Fluker's Hermit Crab Instant Fruit Treat
All Living Things Powder Treat

Canned items with no preservatives or added ingredients, like pure snails, shrimp, crickets, mealworms, silkworms, and grasshoppers. (Freeze leftovers to keep them fresh)

Source: viewtopic.php?t=92555

I dont know if there are safe commercial foods, maybe someone will comment. I used them in the beginning before I knew what I was doing. I do use the Zilla vege and fruit mix, Zilla mealworms and some of the things Curlysis mentioned. I might try that Zoomed fruit medley. But I've never used anything labeled 'hermit crab food'.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:41 pm

Jenny55 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:40 am
I dont know if there are safe commercial foods, maybe someone will comment. I used them in the beginning before I knew what I was doing. I do use the Zilla vege and fruit mix, Zilla mealworms and some of the things Curlysis mentioned. I might try that Zoomed fruit medley. But I've never used anything labeled 'hermit crab food'.

The list that Demaetrix posted is from our care sheet about commercial foods - the care sheet explains the types of preservatives that may be harmful over time, and to avoid in commercial foods. There are a few for sure that don't contain preservatives. My crabs love the Zoomed fruit medley!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:42 pm

Jenny55 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:39 pm
Oh thanks for correcting that, I forgot about those other products. I havent found a safe hermit crab food. I never heard of offering dried meat dog and cat treats. Any particular brand you use?

The brand PureBites has some treats that are simply freeze dried meats!