Help! Humidity too low

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Eholna

Help! Humidity too low

Post by Eholna » Mon May 20, 2024 12:20 pm

Please help! I can't get my tank humidity to stay above 48%! Its 40 gallons with an ultratherm mat on the back, no heat lamp. Temp is stable at 82-84, I have 8 inches of 5:1 sand:ee substrate, bubblers in both pools (3 inches of water depth in each), leaf litter, and moist moss that I mist daily. I've considered using some kind of hose or tubing to hook a humidifier up to the crabitat, but I hear that humidifiers can cause floods? I only want the best for my babies! I have 3 down and one up.
Thanks for your help!

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help! Humidity too low

Post by JoeHermits » Mon May 20, 2024 7:08 pm

A fogger or humidifier would add a lot of water at once so they require more attention to prevent floods. A humidistat will help but those can also get pricey

What do you have for a lid? Sometimes just a little extra sealing will help. If it’s a screen top you can wrap it with plastic wrap to hold in the moist air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Eholna

Post by Eholna » Mon May 20, 2024 10:08 pm

I use corrugated plastic. Is there a way to seal the edges without taping it to the tank?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon May 20, 2024 11:19 pm

Have you calibrated your hygrometer to ensure that it is accurate? There is a care sheet that explains how to do so.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Eholna

Post by Eholna » Tue May 21, 2024 9:06 am

I have not! I will do that. Thank you!