Pools size

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Branca

Pools size

Post by Branca » Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:57 pm

Hello from Italy. My name is Federico.
I'm setting up a 53 gallon tank for my hermit crabs. I'm thinking of placing two small aquariums inside, buried in the sand, like salt and fresh water pools. I'm taking inspiration from the central crab station videos. Do you think a tank depth of more than 7.5 inches is too much? the dimensions of the tanks would be 26 × 17 x 19 cm. (10 x 6.7 x 7.5 inches)

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Pools size

Post by curlysister » Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:52 pm

Welcome!
How many crabs will you have in the tank? Two pools of that size will take up quite a bit of the space that could be used for molting.
If you have Purple Pinchers, they often don't swim, they just wade in and out. I have never had deep enough pools for mine to fully submerge. That said, many people do want to provide pools that are deep enough for crabs to submerge. Not sure what brands you have in Italy, but something like these cheap plastic food containers can be used - you can double them up (one inside the other) and bury in the sane, so that when you take the top one out to change the water, the other one maintains the shape of the sand and does not collapse any tunnels around or under it.

Edit to add - this type of container, used without the lid

https://www.dormco.com/College_Kitchen_ ... -ht624.htm
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Branca

Post by Branca » Thu Jul 11, 2024 4:44 am

Thank you for your answer. I would like to use small glass aquarium-type tanks. In the "Crab Central Station" videos, hermit crabs are walking on the bottom and climbing. They really seem to be having fun and being healthy.
I don't understand if they dive only in salt water tank or also in the fresh water one. Maybe they only use the fresh water pool for drinking and don't dive in? I would need this information to size the two pools, giving the hermit crabs every comfort but also space to bury themselves.
Do you have any experience with this?
Thank you

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Jul 11, 2024 11:09 pm

No, I have never had deep pools. Someone else might chime in to help.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Jaydick484

Post by Jaydick484 » Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:05 pm

I just upgraded to a 20 gallon tank. I put these pools along the back in one corner, so there are three corners left to dig. My crabs typically go in corners. There is so much room to dig and be separated, I'm not worried. Are you using the shelf? I couldn't find anything that would work well enough, so I doubled up instead. They are pretty heavy though. I didn't use glass, because I doubled. I used the sturdier plastic. I have not seen my crabs swimming, but after the mesh, the rocks and the plant, there really only is room to get to the middle and be completely submerged, then come out. I have not seen any of my crabs do this. They go along the rim carefully, hanging on to the plants, so as not to fall in. I do see the evidence of pool usage, as the ladders get sandy. Maybe they go dipping when I'm not looking. I think it's worth it overall. It keeps my humidity up, and is a good option if they want more to explore. Also, seems more natural.