Crab out of shell!!

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
Hermiecaptain

Crab out of shell!!

Post by Hermiecaptain » Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:41 am

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Hello Friends,
I’ve been a hermit crab mom for almost a year now, my tank humidity is consistently at 83% and 80° temperature. I keep my tank clean, they have both fresh, and salt water, I keep mineral blocks in my tank as well as a variety of fresh and dried foods, I do everything I can to keep the perfect tank. This morning I woke up and checked on my crabs (I have 3 crabs in the tank, all extra small crabs) my smallest crab who has just recently molted about 3 1/2 weeks ago is out of his shell and won’t go back in. When he molted he switched into a much larger shell than he had been in and seemed to struggle carrying it, this lasted about a week and then he returned to his original shell he had been in which he seemed to big for and had now been back in for the last 2 weeks.

This morning he was wondering the tank with no shell, I tried convincing him back in by placing him in a isolation bowl with several shells that should fit him including the one he had tried previously that was too big and the shell he keeps returning to. I have added a small amount of water to the bowl and placed it in my travel tank so he is alone I made sure the humidity and temperature are perfect in the travel tank so I’m hoping he will re shell himself now, I’ve also placed a small dish of honey in with him to give him a little boost but I’m open for any other suggestions and help that you guys may have! Thank you for your help!!

Pumpkincrab

Re: Crab out of shell!!

Post by Pumpkincrab » Mon Jul 15, 2024 12:03 pm

Hi Hermiecaptain,
Despite the information you provided, you didn't fill out the emergency form...meaning I don't know the extent of your tank conditions, tank size, food, water, amount of shells, type of shells, etc.
I understand this is a scary situation, but providing us with a filled-out emergency form will let us help you better. Thank you :)
Hi! Feel free to check out TheGourmetCrab here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheGourmetCra ... ugg_market
Owner of 4 purple pincher hermit crabs in a 55g tank.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crab out of shell!!

Post by curlysister » Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:22 am

Has he gone into a shell yet?
Be sure to read through the 'naked crab' care sheet - it explains what to do and to manually re-shell if he won't go in with the method you're using. Be sure that the shells you are offering are light if possible.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers