Shell Questions

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
ChonkyCrabsLover

Shell Questions

Post by ChonkyCrabsLover » Sat Aug 24, 2024 7:10 am

Hello! I am going to be throwing a lot of shell questions at you. I have noticed that every website says something different about everything shelI related. I know hermit crab shells are a very delicate subject and want to get it right. I have had success buying five shells in total for my two PPs. Some places say 4-5 shells per crab, but my crabs change shells a year apart, so there is never any fighting. I understand 4-5 shells per crab if they change shells at the same time. One is a little bigger than the other, so there isn’t any fighting over shells. Also, I am wondering is it best to buy shells in a range EX: 0.9-1.1in openings or all in one size EX: 1in? I think a range would be better because they would have different sizes to choose from. So far, what I am doing is adding around 0.25in to their current shell opening size and that is their new shell opening size. I don’t know if that is right. I found that method on the internet. Should I make one spot be their shell shop or have the shells scattered around the tank? What method should I use to find their bigger shell size? How many shells should I have in my tank in my situation of crab size difference? Is it best to buy shells in a range or all in one size? Thanks!
:crabbigsmile:

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Shell Questions

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:01 pm

HCA recommends 3 to 5 extra shells per crab. How often your crab has changed shells in the past doesn't change that.
Of those 3-5 shells, they can be the same or larger, maybe by 1/8 to 1/4 inch, than what they are currently in. Maybe one that is a bit smaller, or just leave the last shell they were in, in the tank.
Whether in a 'shop' or scattered around is crabber preference, it doesn't make any difference to the crabs.

Have you looked at our 'shells' care sheet yet?

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=92552
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
ChonkyCrabsLover

Re: Shell Questions

Post by ChonkyCrabsLover » Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:07 am

I checked out the shell guide the last time I bought shells. One of my PPs is in a Mexican Turbo and the other is in a Petholatus Turbo. When I first got them, one was in an Apple Murex, so I try to provide one of those. The other one was in a pica shell when I got him. I want to buy a bigger size of a pica, but I can’t find a place that sells those. Right now I have 6 shells in a range of 0.8-1.1in openings. I just recently started making a shell shop, so the shells don’t get sand inside them. I have had my crabs bury shells before. I don’t want to wash the shells a lot LOL. Thank you!