Crab Suddenly More Aggressive

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
ChonkyCrabsLover

Crab Suddenly More Aggressive

Post by ChonkyCrabsLover » Thu Aug 22, 2024 6:49 am

Hello! My crabs have been acting a bit more aggressive lately. I have two PPs just so you know. They have never shown aggressive behavior in the 2 years I have had them. They usually just mind their own business. In the past month, one of my crabs has gotten a little bit more pushy. He sometimes would guard the food dish for himself. He recently has been sitting on top of the driftwood (highest point in tank) and watching everything. I have noticed him pushing my other crab to the side if they are both going to do the same thing. It is funny, because the aggressive crab is actually about a year younger than the other because that crab changed into a 0.75in opening shell a year after the non aggressive crab did. The other crab seems to just accept it and walk away. He is ONLY in the exact same spot every day hiding in a coconut hut I made. Is that because he is so intimidated? Maybe he is more aggressive because of shell choices? Buying 5 shells is usually good for them because they change shells each a year apart. I don’t know because I have both seen them checking out shells (each rolled around and stuck their head inside of a shell like they were inspecting it. Good thing they were different shells. They were a banded Petholatus (aggressive crab) and a Babylonia (non aggressive crab)). My crab is scared of the other crab. Maybe he is just asserting his dominance? I have been seeing the other crab less often. I have no idea why they are suddenly aggressive? I hope they are just setting up a hierarchy. What should I do if this escalates? Please help! Thank you!

I<3mycrabbies

Re: Crab Suddenly More Aggressive

Post by I<3mycrabbies » Sun Aug 25, 2024 7:00 pm

I would put in extra protein in their food dish or maybe even set up another food dish

Topic author
ChonkyCrabsLover

Post by ChonkyCrabsLover » Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:51 am

I do have an extra dish. I can try that. Thank you!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:18 pm

Also at least 3 to 5 extra shells per crab.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
ChonkyCrabsLover

Post by ChonkyCrabsLover » Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:12 am

Right now, there are 6 shells in the tank. It is lucky that my non aggressive crab tries to stay out of the aggressive one’s way. He doesn’t want to start a fight. He just avoids him.