Is my tank overcrowded?

Please post here if you are a new crab owner and someone will be along shortly to welcome you to the HCA! This is also the place to welcome new crabbies to your clan!

Topic author
Jkandyrock32

Is my tank overcrowded?

Post by Jkandyrock32 » Mon Sep 09, 2024 8:43 am

Hello! I'm a fairly new crab owner, I came across these guys and after finding out how terrible their living conditions have been, I made my goal to give these guys the best life ever. I'm absolutely obsessed with these guys, they're so cool! I've noticed recently that one of my hermit crabs has changed its shell two times, weeks after first molt. So I'd like to know if my crabitat isn't causing my crab to stress out. I currently have 4 crabs; One medium -large Ecuadorian, Two Small-medium PP, and one small pp. They are inside a tall 20 gallon tank. About 11 inches of substrate. And it's hard to tell by picture but ive managed to create levels and layers to maximize space use. They are constantly climbing around and they stick to their own corners. I do plan on upgrading eventually.Any feedback helps! Thanks!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9NQXJgGmWghBjHgn8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ECPJUEEJXoDM8Ci98
https://photos.app.goo.gl/qJJ5vuB2o4Q9xYTk6

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is my tank overcrowded?

Post by curlysister » Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:34 pm

Crabs will just sometimes change shells, it doesn't mean anything is wrong in the environment. Which crab is changing? How many and what types of shells are you offering?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Jkandyrock32

Post by Jkandyrock32 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:59 am

My medium Purple Pincher has been the finicky one.
I bought him some turbo shells. I think I have about ten of them. Cleaned them in boiled distilled water. It seems that he's found his shell but this morning I found him downstairs out of his tank. I don't know how he escaped a sealed tank. I think this may have been coincidental. But now I'm even more worried that he hates it in there lol. Humidity is around 90% and Temp is 83f.

ChonkyCrabsLover

Post by ChonkyCrabsLover » Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:06 pm

This is a great list for shells that PPs like. https://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB ... hp?t=48249
Maybe try soaking shells in saltwater. Try murex and pica shells. My crabs were in those when I first got them. Maybe tape the lid shut to prevent escaping.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Sep 10, 2024 7:47 pm

Escaping is a crime of opportunity, not because he hates it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
Jkandyrock32

Post by Jkandyrock32 » Tue Sep 10, 2024 9:25 pm

ChonkyCrabsLover wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 3:06 pm
This is a great list for shells that PPs like. https://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB ... hp?t=48249
Maybe try soaking shells in saltwater. Try murex and pica shells. My crabs were in those when I first got them. Maybe tape the lid shut to prevent escaping.
Thank you very much!

Topic author
Jkandyrock32

Post by Jkandyrock32 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 8:22 am

Just a quick update: I found a crab leg this morning. It doesn't look hollow. I don't think any of them are molting, I'm thinking this may be a sign of stress.Would this confirm that I may just have to get a bigger tank? I was hoping that the amount of climbing space would be enough buy maybe my 20 gallon tall tank isn't big enough.

Topic author
Jkandyrock32

Post by Jkandyrock32 » Sat Sep 14, 2024 9:52 am

Just found my sweet capo.. he was ripped apart or his legs and claws came off. I guess my tank was overcrowded or didn't meet certain conditions?

ChonkyCrabsLover

Post by ChonkyCrabsLover » Sun Sep 15, 2024 3:23 pm

It might have been because of the temp. I read Hermit crabs can lose legs due to stress because of low temperature. Your crabs could have been fighting too. Is another crab wearing the shell of the dead one? All of my crabs are the same size so they don’t fight. They established a hierarchy and leave each other alone. 4 crabs is not a lot for a 20 gallon tank. That is the perfect amount. You said that your tank was at 83 degrees. Hermit crab max temp is around 85. They might have been too hot. I hope I am being helpful! Sorry your crab died.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:10 pm

83 isn't too hot.
Honestly, if you just got your crabs, there is probably nothing you could have done differently. They go through so much before we get them, and are not kept in good conditions at all. Many crabs die before they get to the stores, and many more not too long afterwards. Unfortunately, we can't do any kind of diagnostics to find out what is wrong. The term 'post purchase syndrome' is used for crabs to die before their first molt or two - it is not because of anything we did or didn't do, but because of what happened before they came to us.

Topic author
Jkandyrock32

Post by Jkandyrock32 » Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:09 am

Thank you. I really dont think they were fighting. They were all so close and the ones alive still have their shells. However, I do think Capo was very stressed out.i forgot to add that he was out of his tank for at least a full night. He was found downstairs by my shoe rack. Im assuming he fell down there from the second floor. I can only imagine how stressed he must've been. Anyways, I put him back into the tank which is usually very active. Perhaps Isolating him would've been the better move. He died a few days after that incident. Capo was of the original pair that I got. He was the reason why I fell in love with these little guys. This one hurt. But this experience will help me be a better crab owner. My goal is to give the best life to as many hermit crabs as I can! Thanks guys

LavendarCrab

Post by LavendarCrab » Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:58 pm

I'm sorry for your loss.
"You can only come to the morning through the shadows."