Where's my hermie?

This is the place to post if you have questions and aren't sure where to ask them! If it relates to one of the sections below, please post there instead.

Topic author
ccrtr

Where's my crabby?

Post by ccrtr » Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:28 pm

I've for a 40gal breeder tank but it's currently divided in two because I have a lethargic and not so lively hermit. Who I'm worried is having a very slow death...

I ordered 2 online and the lethargic one ended up molting so I ordered 2 more from the same place and upgraded from my 20 gal. At first I had all 4 together but noticed the molted one being picked on ans then got slow, doesn't react much (or at all) to me in and out of the tank. So.i separated. But his tank mate was fine with the other two. I saw crabby yesterday. Today, no sign of it. There are tracks that look like attempts at tunneling but no holes in the sand/coconut dirt anywhere.

What should I do for crabby, and what's up with hermie?

The other two have yet to be named.

Topic author
ccrtr

Where's my hermie?

Post by ccrtr » Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:28 pm

I've got a 40gal breeder tank but it's currently divided in two because I have a lethargic and not so lively hermit. Who I'm worried is having a very slow death...

I ordered 2 online and the lethargic one ended up molting so I ordered 2 more from the same place and upgraded from my 20 gal. At first I had all 4 together but noticed the molted one being picked on ans then got slow, doesn't react much (or at all) to me in and out of the tank. So.i separated. But his tank mate was fine with the other two. I saw crabby yesterday. Today, no sign of it. There are tracks that look like attempts at tunneling but no holes in the sand/coconut dirt anywhere.

What should I do for hermie, and what's up with crabby?

The other two have yet to be named.

Addition:
It's possible that the 2 new ones ate crabby and took his shell... but they have so many choices!
Last edited by ccrtr on Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
ccrtr

Re: Where's my hermie?

Post by ccrtr » Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:32 pm

Crabby is missingImage

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk
Last edited by ccrtr on Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
ccrtr

Post by ccrtr » Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:35 pm

Hermie has been sitting there like this all day.Image

I<3mycrabbies

Re: Where's my crabby?

Post by I<3mycrabbies » Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:00 pm

I would add some extra protein to their food dish to help make sure there's no violence and maybe even set up another dish for the crab your worried for.
He might just be hiding in other hide outs.
Also make sure your temp and humidity are where they should be.

I hope this helps good luck!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:04 pm

To clarify - you bought 2 crabs originally, then when one was molting you bought two more.
When did you move them to the new 40 gallon tank? How long did the crab (which I believe has been ID'd as an E) stay underground molting - did he come up on his own, or did you dig him up to move to the new tank?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
ccrtr

Post by ccrtr » Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:50 am

Hermie was under for at least a month. I set up the new tank and transfered crabby but left hermie alone to finish what they were doing underground. I absolutely did not dig them up, that'd be a terrible idea. I waited 3 days before putting them in with the other three. My humidity is around 85-90% and heat about the same. I give them 6-7 different types of protein, a dried fruit, oats, and seed mixture, a veggies and herb mixture, fruit salad of dried cranberry, apple and mango, and peanut butter treats, and dried coconut. Occasionally I give them fresh fruits and veggies. I've recently taken most of the decor out of the enclosure and still no sign of crabby... Hermie has their own food and waters and seems to be eating still.

Topic author
ccrtr

Post by ccrtr » Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:50 pm

Are they getting darker?

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon Sep 16, 2024 11:18 pm

Sorry, I'm still not certain of the situation.
All crabs were moved over to the new tank, but now the one who had been underground is slow, and the other original crab is missing?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
ccrtr

Post by ccrtr » Tue Sep 17, 2024 6:31 am

Yes, that's exactly right.

Topic author
ccrtr

Post by ccrtr » Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:39 am

So... mites or sand?ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
ccrtr

Post by ccrtr » Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:41 am

Today is bath dayImageImage

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:38 am

Please don't bath your crabs - they will bath themselves. They carry a mix of salt and fresh water in their shells, and if we put them in the pools, it will mess with that mix. Also if you are concerned about a crab, handling and bathing them will be more unnecessary stress.

Topic author
ccrtr

Post by ccrtr » Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:58 am

Hermie switched shells a couple times which made me hopeful, but at the beginning of the week they passed away.