Lots of shell changing

Where we discuss the behavior of our hermit crabs, as in fights, pecking orders, shell swaps, etc. Please post all naked-crab posts in the Emergency forum.

Topic author
ChonkyCrabsLover

Lots of shell changing

Post by ChonkyCrabsLover » Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:40 pm

Hello! My crab has been changing shells a ton lately and I don’t know why. I have seen him change into 4 different shells. Every time, he is in it for an hour, then just switches back. I have all my shells on my 2nd level and my crab would throw the shells back onto the main level. I don’t know if my crab is unhappy with the shell choices. My crab isn’t in a small shell either. It fits him well. Why is my crab doing this? Have your crabs done this before? Thank you!

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lots of shell changing

Post by curlysister » Fri Sep 20, 2024 12:21 am

What type of crab do you have, and what types of shells are you offering?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
ChonkyCrabsLover

Re: Lots of shell changing

Post by ChonkyCrabsLover » Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:36 pm

I have 2 PPs. The shells in their tank are an argystroma turbo, a banded argystroma turbo, a banded petholatus turbo, a pink murex, an apple murex, and a Babylonia. I also have some shells that are the same size they are in. They are in 0.75in opening shells and the shells in my tank are 0.9in to 1.1in openings. I have had them for two years and they both have changed shells once.