New Hermit Crab Owner

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
kennaschabo041

New Hermit Crab Owner

Post by kennaschabo041 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:36 pm

Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
play sand and coco fiber 5/1 ratio, 5in deep

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
yes, in the middle of the tank, usually 77 degrees and the humidity is at 80%.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
yes, heating pad on the back and small round one underneath

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
i use hermit crab saltwater pre mixed and the hermit crab water treatment from the pet store.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
i replace food daily, i feed a variety of foods like plankton, red shrimp, kale, chia seeds, carrots, apples, grapes, coconut flakes, hermit meal, worm castings, oyster shells, mealworms, silkworms.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
unsure of species, i’m pretty sure purple pincher, i’ve had them for about a month.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
i have two crabs, one i believe is currently molting and the other has not.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
a 20 gallon aquarium with a glass lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, medium

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
i haven’t cleaned it yet due to the possibly molting crab, but i spot clean with a scooper.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no the humidity is solid.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Hi there! i’m a new hermit crab owner, i’ve had two of them for about a month now. one of them, Grimace, switched shells immediately and then ate a lot, and now has been buried (and i believe is molting) for over a week and a half now. my other crab, Mayor McCheese, was very active but now hasn’t been for about a week and sits in the corner of his cage. i’m unsure of what i’m doing wrong, as he seemed happy and was eating before. i haven’t seen him eat or move much, but all of the temperatures of the enclosure are perfect. is there something i’m doing wrong?

CrabbyLover77

Re: New Hermit Crab Owner

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:51 pm

I'll put my suggestions under your answers. Hope this helps!
kennaschabo041 wrote:Since you've come to the emergency forum, we know you want a fast answer to your question. In order for us to figure out the problem as quickly as possible, we ask that you answer the following questions as best you can. Some of them may seem odd, but they're all designed to give us the information we need to give you a good solution for your problem. The things in the [ brackets ] are there to make this post easier to read once submitted. Thanks!

1. What kind of substrate is used in your tank and how deep is it?
play sand and coco fiber 5/1 ratio, 5in deep

CL77-Is it moistened to sand castle consistency using dechlor fresh or saltwater?

2. Do you have gauges in the tank to measure temperature and humidity? If so, where are they located and what temperature and humidity do they usually read?
yes, in the middle of the tank, usually 77 degrees and the humidity is at 80%.

3. Is a heat source used in the tank? If so, what?
yes, heating pad on the back and small round one underneath

CL77- Because there is so much substrate in hermit tanks, placing a uth under the tank can overwork it while it tries to heat through it all, making it a fire hazard. You'll want to remove or turn off that one.

4. What types of water are available (fresh or salt) and how is the water treated (what brands of dechlorinator or salt mix and what ratio is used to mix it)?
i use hermit crab saltwater pre mixed and the hermit crab water treatment from the pet store.

CL77-The premixed stuff sold for hermits usually isn't sufficient for them. You'll need to get a marine salt, like instant Ocean. Prime is a good dechlorinator and heavy metal detoxifier. You can use tap water for both as long as you add the dechlorinator with it.

5. What kinds of food do you feed and how often is it replaced?
i replace food daily, i feed a variety of foods like plankton, red shrimp, kale, chia seeds, carrots, apples, grapes, coconut flakes, hermit meal, worm castings, oyster shells, mealworms, silkworms.

CL77-No need to replace the food daily unless it's fresh food. I change up dinner plates filled with dry food appx 2x/week.

6. How long have you had the crab and what species is it, if known?
unsure of species, i’m pretty sure purple pincher, i’ve had them for about a month.

7. Has your crab molted, and how long ago did it happen?
i have two crabs, one i believe is currently molting and the other has not.

8. What type of housing are the crabs kept in, what size is it and what kind of lid is on the housing?
a 20 gallon aquarium with a glass lid.

9. How many crabs are in the tank and about how large are they?
2, medium

10. How many extra shells are usually kept in the tank, if any?

CL77-Are they the correct type of shells? PPs prefer shells with round openings, like turbos.

11. Have there been any fumes or chemicals near the crabitat recently?
no

12. How often do you clean the tank and how?
i haven’t cleaned it yet due to the possibly molting crab, but i spot clean with a scooper.

CL77- spot cleaning is fine. No need to deep clean unless there is a bacterial bloom or flood.

13. Are sponges used in the water dish? If so, how are they cleaned?
no the humidity is solid.

14. Has anything new been added to your crabitat recently?
no

15. Is there any other information you would like to share that might be helpful (anything that is regularly part of your crab care, playtime, bathing, etc.)?

16. Please describe the emergency situation in detail.

Hi there! i’m a new hermit crab owner, i’ve had two of them for about a month now. one of them, Grimace, switched shells immediately and then ate a lot, and now has been buried (and i believe is molting) for over a week and a half now. my other crab, Mayor McCheese, was very active but now hasn’t been for about a week and sits in the corner of his cage. i’m unsure of what i’m doing wrong, as he seemed happy and was eating before. i haven’t seen him eat or move much, but all of the temperatures of the enclosure are perfect. is there something i’m doing wrong?

CL77-Welcome to crabbing! It's likely your crab is just chilling, aka destressing. They go through a lot in the pet trade before we get them. They need time to decompress when they are finally in the right conditions. Just make sure to grab a marine salt for your salt pool when you can.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
kennaschabo041

Post by kennaschabo041 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:55 pm

Thank you so much!!! this made me feel so much better. another question while i’m here, i’ve been seeing some white fuzzy mold on the sand every few days and i clean it out and im unsure of how to get rid of it.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Sep 23, 2024 9:26 pm

Np at all! Mold grows on old food and decor. It's likely the crabs are leaving crumbs on the sand and they are getting moldy. The best you can do is spot clean everyday for bits of old food that fall outside of their dish/wherever you see mold in the substrate. For mold that grows on decor, you can soak it in salt water, dry completely, then return it to the tank. That will help inhibit future mold growth.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

LucasMount

Post by LucasMount » Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:41 am

The hermit crabs seem to be experiencing stress or health issues. Ensure proper humidity, temperature, and water quality. Consider consulting a vet or an experienced hermit crab keeper for specific advice.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sat Sep 28, 2024 10:05 pm

LucasMount wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:41 am
The hermit crabs seem to be experiencing stress or health issues. Ensure proper humidity, temperature, and water quality. Consider consulting a vet or an experienced hermit crab keeper for specific advice.
That's why they are on this site, and CL77 has given excellent advice.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers