New Crab

Please post here if you are having a crab care emergency! Use a real subject and not just "HELP!"

Topic author
haileesprague

New Crab

Post by haileesprague » Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:11 pm

So I just bought a new purple clawed hermit from the pet store and it will never come out of its shell! It only seems to burrow and doesn’t even come out to eat or get water. i’m starting to get worried as this has been going on for about two weeks. i try and hand feed/ get her wet but i feel like i can only do so much. my other hermit crab is very lively and is very active.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Altaccforhermitsssss

Re: New Crab

Post by Altaccforhermitsssss » Mon Oct 21, 2024 6:16 am

They will be bery shy and stressed when they first come from the pet store, and the conditions they are kept in are less than ideal, so it is not uncommon to find them constantly hiding, let him do his thing and eventually your crabbie will be back ti normal, also, all hermit crabs are different, you may just have a shy one.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New Crab

Post by curlysister » Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:00 am

Concentrate on getting a good set up with proper heat and humidity, water pools, and feed a variety of foods. They will take what they need for food and water - don't try to force them to eat or put them in the water. Don't dig up a crab who is underground, leave them alone as they might be molting.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers