Do PP (purple pinchers) need salt water?

All about freshwater & saltwater - dechlorinators, salt, water bowls, and pool construction & maintenance.

Topic author

Do PP (purple pinchers) need salt water?

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:51 am

I have 2 medium sized pp and im not sure...im only using fresh water now...

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:53 am

All species of crabs should have access to salt water at all times. They adjust the salinity of their shell water by mixing fresh and salt. PPs might not use as much salt water as perlatus, but they should still have it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:56 am

PP's don't need salt water, but I recommend it for all species, as will most people here at the HCA. I built in a salt water & fresh water pool for my 29g, and the first hermie to go into it was Boo, a PP. So even though they may not need it, they like to have access to it as well. :)

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:45 pm

I have 3 PP and put saltwater in the tank a few weeks ago. The first 3 nights they drained it dry. They love it. I am glad I started putting it in there. It is not very expensive and they seem to really enjoy it.

Topic author

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:58 pm

Heh i had had PPs for 3 months when I found out about the salt water and put some in. They all molted that following month, some within days of sitting in the salt water *chuckles* so yes i think they need it.